RJ Spagnols Red Wine Clearing Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearnet

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm hoping you can help me with this likely silly question. Im very new to the kit wine game here. I started my first 2 kits 2 weeks ago. One is an Amarone RJS EN Primeur, and the other is a Pinot Grigio RJS Grand Cru. I started them both the same day to try and line up the racking for the first few stages which went very well. Yesterday I moved both to Step 3 (Stabilizing and Clearing) after confirming the correct SP (red was at 0.996, and white was 0.994). I follow the instructions to a tea for both, added all the clearing and other packets in order. I also degassed both for about 15 min each with a drill whip, until they didn't show anymore signs of bubbles. Anyways to my question. It's only been 24h since and the white wine cleared right up, where i can see right through it. However the Red hasn't really done anything at all. I'm only compared the white to red here and wondering if the red should have cleared up any? Or will it take much longer? The red is very cloudy, to a point if I put a light on one side of the carboy i can not see any light on the other side.

Not sure if it matters but I needed to backfill the red about 3/4 of a bottle of Masi Campofiorin.

All is well. Your Amarone had a skin pack, right? Lots more dissolved solids in red wine than white which scatters and absorbs the light. It will take a while to clear, just give it time.

Yes had a skin pack and a bag of raisins. Thanks for your advice and that this is typical. I got a bit worried after seeing the white clean up so quickly.

Latest posts

Back