Red Wine Acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron0126

30 batches my first year, still learning
Reaction score
I've read that reds need to be 3.5 to 4.5 on the pH scale (some debate the 4+ but they're out there) and whites 3.0 - 3.5.
I just measured my Cabernet's acidity at 9g/litre and I'm wondering if it should be corrected. I have added 18 oz of blackberries, 10oz Zantes currants, and 2 cups medium toast French Oak.

I measured the acidity with a pH meter by:
1. First calibrating the meter
2. Added 15 ml of wine to a cup
3. Added 0.2 NaOH (swirling constantly) until the meter measured 8.2
4. Total of 9 ml added to get to 8.2
5. Used a formula as follows:
75 x 9ml NaOH x 0.2N then divided by 15ml wine sample = 9g/litre

Temp is 74. Current SG is 1.018. Initial pH was 3.7 (meter was calibrated just before using)

Is my wine out of balance? Am I worried about nothing?

Did you add the 3 drops of the color solution to the wine and mix before adding the hydroxide?
Woulda been step #3 on your list. Or is that not needed when going by 8.2 and not the color change?

Last edited:
Did you add the 3 drops of the color solution to the wine and mix before adding the hydroxide?
Woulda been step #3 on your list. Or is that not needed when going by 8.2 and not the color change?

It isn't needed. The color change happens at ph 8.2, so you aren't looking for a color change, but a ph value.

I won't worry too much about your acid levels, that can wait until after fermentation. Your ph is up slightly but not enough to be concerned at this point. I would let it ferment and then check.

How does it taste? Numbers are one measure of balance, but your tongue and taste are what really matter. I find the pH to be the more important number and it seems fine.

Currently the pH is down to 3.1. It tastes ok (not great but very young). I kinda thought that pH reading was too low for a red.

wait until wine is degassed and clear plus three months post fermentation to recognize any numbers as being valid. I would still go with taste. if sulfate addition is of concern, using 1/4 tsp per five gallons of wine works best without all the fancy measurements.

wait until wine is degassed and clear plus three months post fermentation to recognize any numbers as being valid. I would still go with taste. if sulfate addition is of concern, using 1/4 tsp per five gallons of wine works best without all the fancy measurements.

Thank you. I'll take your advice (as well as everyone else's!) and be patient.

Latest posts

Back