Red wine acidity correction and sulphiting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys. We harvested our grapes too early last year and the wine is too acid. We didn't sulphite in the hope that the malo-lactic process would sort it, but it hasn't. My plan is to correct with Potassium Bicarbonate. Can I add sulphite at the same time please? The wine is now ten months old and in danger of oxidisation. Many thanks!

Yeah as far as I know kmeta won’t affect any acid removal attempts. Also cold stabilizing ~3wks really helps ensure you get the most out of the attempt. If u can, don’t wing it do Bench trials to dial in the dosage. Too Chalky isn’t much better than too acidic

I guess next go-round you’ll harvest a little later. Were you checking ph before harvesting?

Oh and you can also use a yeast the eats up a large % of the malic during regular fermentation. Which I assume would make mlf easier to complete. A handful of strong popular yeasts do this. Every little bit helps! Good luck

Back