Red Star Pasteur Red, BM4X4, MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming back to winemaking after fourteen years.

Used to use Pasteur and had good results with Bordeaux style blends. Always did MLF.

Now it seems many folks are favoring BM4X4. But Scott doesn’t recommend MLF with this strain.

Why don’t folks use Pasteur anymore?

Is there a better alternative when MLF is desired?

Read that before starting this thread.

Wondered about better choices than BM4x4 and who uses old Pasteur Red.

FWIW, I’ve been using BM 4x4 on lots of my reds, and doing MLF as well with no issues. I co-inoculate and run MLF side by side with alcoholic fermentation. MLF is normally complete on my wines a couple weeks after AF.

Thank you. I decided to use BM4X4, with Go-Ferm for rehydration and FT Rouge tannin in the must. Chose Viniflora (Chris Hanson) CH16 for MLF and MicroEssentials Oenos nutrients to help it along. The recommendation is to hold off for a few days during AF before inoculating with the MLF bacteria and nutrients.

Thank you. I decided to use BM4X4, with Go-Ferm for rehydration and FT Rouge tannin in the must. Chose Viniflora (Chris Hanson) CH16 for MLF and MicroEssentials Oenos nutrients to help it along. The recommendation is to hold off for a few days during AF before inoculating with the MLF bacteria and nutrients.
That’s pretty similar timing, mine usually goes in at the first big cap punchdown, 2-3 days after getting the yeast on board. Good luck!!

I've tried both BM4X4 and 71B previously and have now gone totally to 71B co-inoculated with VP41 MLB for my red hybrids. The 71B helps reduce acidity in the primary. Hope this helps.

FWIW, I’ve been using BM 4x4 on lots of my reds, and doing MLF as well with no issues. I co-inoculate and run MLF side by side with alcoholic fermentation. MLF is normally complete on my wines a couple weeks after AF.

Same here. I have two batches going with BM4X4 and Vp41 MLB currently and have done several in the past.

Back