red raspberry wine questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie

Junior
Reaction score
hi

i've been surfing this forum and the web for info on Red raspberry wine

i did kit wine years ago and still have most the gear

i went to the local store and got new what i needed

i have some questions though please:

i've got 25lbs of frozen red raspberries picked off our own plants this fall that i want to use for wine

the person at the wine store suggested i use corn sugar...which i bought

do i use the same amount of corn sugar when a recipe calls for regular sugar??

also i've seen varying recipe methods...and wonder if someone here can give me the right amounts/method for everything to make a DRY red raspberry wine

we don't like too sweet here...so any help appreciated

thank you!!

stevie

I've never used corn syrup for wine, that's normally used for brewing beer but since you have it why not use it. What you're really looking for is the target S.G., what ever the recipe calls for (normally 1.080-1.085). Add 3/4 the amount of corn syrup that the recipe calls for and start testing the S.G. Continue to add the syrup in small increments stirring well to mix in and when the target has been reached go to the next step in the directions. The dryness will be determined by you at the end of the wine making process by adding a sweetener or leaving dry.

thank you sacalait

but it's corn sugar...not syrup

here's the recipe i've been pondering
Night-of-the-Living-Raspberry (i can't post the link cos i'm a newbie i guess but it's easily google-able)

Night of the Living Raspberry/Raspberry Wine

9-10 pounds of raspberries, crushed

6 campden tablets, crushed

1 tsp. acid blend

1 tsp. yeast energizer

3 tsp. yeast nutrient

1 ½ tsp. pectic enzyme

10 ½ pounds granulated sugar

2 gal. filtered water

EC1118 yeast

so, if i've got 25lbs of berries - i would be needing nearly 22lbs of corn sugar

does that seem right?

and i should yield @ 6-7 gallons?

whew!

I would add some white grape juice this recipe and keep berrys to 10lb but corn sugar is fine just check with hydrometer so you dont go overboard.

I miss read the post. Proceed with the recipe, add the grape juice if you like. A couple of bananas would be nice as well.

10 lbs fruit per 2 gallons of water added should be good for homegrown raspberries. they are typically more flavorful than store bought. it will be a "full-bodied" wine.

for 6~7 gallons, i would expect atleast 12 lbs of sugar. 22 lbs sounds high. put in 10 and check the sg. then add a lb or so, until you get the sg up to 1.085~1.090 for ~11% abv.

do you have an acid tester? it's best to put in about 2/3's acid and test it until good.

i would use 2 tsp yeast energizer and 4 tsp yeast nutrient.

i like the 1118 yeast. works great.

sounds like a pretty good recipe. i typically use 3.5~4 lbs of raspberries per gallon, so you are on target there. too much sugar though.

bananas are optional and imo, i wouldn't use them for raspberries. the grapes are also an option, but again, i wouldn't use them. raspberry is a good wine and no need for other flavors if you like raspberry and you are using enough fruit. you are using enough for 6~7 gallons.

good luck!!!

thank you midwest!

that is great info, i don't have an acid tester and will get one

i agree, on a first run at raspberry i'll stay with one note

i was recommended the 1122 which i just went with

i should be set to go, i'll surely have other questions and this board has been great

thank you midwest!

that is great info, i don't have an acid tester and will get one

i agree, on a first run at raspberry i'll stay with one note

i was recommended the 1122 which i just went with

i should be set to go, i'll surely have other questions and this board has been great

the 1122 is good too, just won't push as hard when the going gets tough (blueberry is one).

wade - the recipe i cited says leave the bag of rb in the primary for seven days..

does that make sense?

wade - the recipe i cited says leave the bag of rb in the primary for seven days..

does that make sense?

i always put it in until the sg gets to ~1.030.

i think there should be enough fruit there for atleast 5 gallons and probably six. homegrown are usually much more full flavored compared to store bought.

Stevie, sounds like you got what you need to make a nice batch of RB.

I forget now, but I think after ten posts you can attach links, photos, etc. You're almost there. Looking forward to see what you have to share.

Cheers.

Troy
:b

Thanks Troy

This site has been tremendous
Just stopping by the store today to get some sulfite and an acid test kit

berries are nearly defrosted and i'll mix this up tonight!

Stevie, I missed some of your first posts, but one cool bit of info:

For a fermenting bag, alot of the gang uses nylon stockings, or get a paint straining bag, they are both cheap and quite effective. Of course clean and sterilize anything touching your wine!!

Be sure you press the bag under the must(dunk it) at least twice a day, just to keep it moist. I use a plastic potato masher for this, sterilized of course.

Happy Brewing

Troy
:b

That time span should be fine unless you have a very fast fermentation and then I would leave it in longer. If you punch down every day at least once you dont have to worry about anything happening with the fruit going bad. Like I said before I usually leave it in for around 10 days and some of those times were in pretty warm conditions.

i need some help

a pitched the yeast 2 days ago, and i've got nothing happening

i'm using 1122, and followed the directions on the package, along with yeast nutrient and energizer

room temp is a constant 74 degrees (i'm using a small closet with a space heater in the basement)

should i try one more pack of yeast...along with nutrient and energizer??

or just wait longer??

thanks

stevie

What are using to judge that there is no action, did yiu check it with the hydro or are you just watching your airlock?

my large primary does not have an air lock..

pitched the yeast exactly 48 hours ago/ sg at 1.085

i thought i would see some air bubbles by now...that's all

be patient??

i have only done grapes...this is my first fruit

Latest posts

Back