Red muscadine wine ques..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Junior
Reaction score
I've been making "red muscadine wine" for about 5 years. Ive always let the juice, hulls, seeds, ferment together for about 3 to 5 days until i get a s.g. of about 1.030 in a open primary, then press to 2ndary.
I was recently told this was all wrong, this will make a bitter wine! I should only let the juice, seeds,etc, sit for a few days, press into 2ndary then ferment.
Have i been doing this wrong all along? How would you punch the cap, or get all of your rich red color and tannins if you didnt ferment some with the skins?. please reply. skip in ar...

If it has worked for this long why change. Juice, skins, seeds will get you the tannins and color. If you pressed hard could crack the seeds and would get bitter but it Sounds like your doing everything right the way you have been doing it.

Thanks darkstar, i guess his method would be easier to extract juice for samples, other than that im not sure. I guess i started 2nd guessing myself since im having trouble with my white. thanks for the reply.skip in ar...

You're doing fine the way you're going...don't be side tracked.

Thanks for the reply muscadine. I'm gonna keep right on going the same as always. I do appreciate you guys taking time out to give me some encouragement. I will be posting other threads im sure,lol. skip in ar.

Latest posts

Back