Red Hybrid Color Stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a fair number of members who grow red hybrids, so this article may be useful:

https://winemakermag.com/technique/red-hybrid-color-stabilization
The first winemaker says extraction is not the problem, it's keeping the color stable and not losing it.

I find it interesting that the first two winemakers disagree with each other -- the first one says to not use fermentation enzymes, while the 2nd says to use Scottzyme ColorPro. A good experiment is to make a carboy with, and one without, to see how the compare after a year.

Look at the color of the wines that most folk who make strawberry wine end up with. Strawberry blond/e is what they often get. And I would argue that the solution to preventing a loss of color is a) more acidity in the must (strawberries are not very acidic -pH wise) and tannin. the addition of both helps FIX the color to the juice. That and not allowing the fruit to oxidize - strawberries when they oxidize turn the juice an orange -brown color.

Very interesting… was just able to read the article. I have a Frontenac and it tastes ok, but maybe tannin is missing. I didn’t get to the “adding oak in primary” until after it was well into bulk aging. Maybe adding some tannin now would be helpful for flavor. It still has an amazing color and tastes quite like cherry.

Latest posts

Back