Red Grape Juice Question - Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I bought some Cabernet Sav. and Malbec grape juice and this year bought more and different varieties, however, I'd like to ask if anyone knows how long (generally) the juice has been in contact with the skins? I know it can't be "0" as there is coloring in the juice and we would instead be making white or blush wines. I'm sure it isn't long due to production, right? They aren't adding mega-purple into the juice are they?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I've often wonder the same as well how they get color in red kits My guess is they are adding mega-purple or juice from teinturier grapes which is mega-purple and its kin. I would like to know.

Last edited:
Last year I bought some Cabernet Sav. and Malbec grape juice and this year bought more and different varieties, however, I'd like to ask if anyone knows how long (generally) the juice has been in contact with the skins? I know it can't be "0" as there is coloring in the juice and we would instead be making white or blush wines. I'm sure it isn't long due to production, right? They aren't adding mega-purple into the juice are they?

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Have you asked your supplier? I wanted to know the Brix and pH of my spring juice buckets and my shop gave me the contact info of the supplier, who was very forthcoming with the info.

Have you asked your supplier?
Hi Bob. Good suggestion. Actually, I have asked that question from the supplier to my LHBS and while they are great at giving me the status of the current batch of juice, they can't tell me where the juice came from (other than a very general geographic area), or specific details regarding the juice producer.
This question is truly hard to track down for some reason.

Latest posts

Back