Red grape concentrate vs frozen juice concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Nauman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Working on my first blueberry, one gallon. The recipe calls for 1/2 pint of red grape concentrate for body and sweetening. I've seen the 1liter packages at LHBS for around $20, but I am also reading that the frozen cans of concentrate at the grocery store achieves kind of the same thing. The cans, however, appear to be exclusively Concord. Just wondering if anyone has done both and which is recommended.

Thanks

Last edited:
Concord frozen concentrate will make your blueberry wine taste and smell like...Concord.

Concord frozen concentrate will make your blueberry wine taste and smell like...Concord.
ARGH!! I just started a cranberry wine from GS concentrate and used 3 cans of cranberry to 1 can of Concord, This is a 3 gallon batch. Will I even taste the cranberry?

OK.

I've made blueberry wine a few years now. The first year or two I used Concord grape concentrate. Now, I don't have the best nose or palate, I'll admit that. But I'm pretty sensitive to labrusca aromas and to me the labrusca completely dominated any blueberry in those first batches. Ruined. I switched to Merlot concentrate and it has worked great.

I've got no idea how the cranberry will stand up to Concord. Report back and let us know.

Back