WineXpert Red Flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Junior
Reaction score
I have made 2 batches using Winexpert International Selections. The first was a Shiraz and I recently bottled a Montepulciano which I tried after about 3 weeks bulk aging and w weeks in the bottle. The Shiraz did also not age very long. Both wines had a similar taste that wasn't as good as I hoped. I followed all the directions and made sure everything was sanitized. Am I just being too impatient?

It's tough waiting...isn't it.:D

The Montepulciano will taste better after 6 months, the Shiraz will probably take about a year. Patience is the key with reds.

Peace,
Bob

Those are two of my favorites. The Montepulciano I find has an especially peppery flavor which I really like. Buy a few cases of commercial wine if you have to so that you an stay out of these till at least this coming fall.

Lock it in a closet and put a sign on the door that says, "Do not touch, do not disturb for six months". (A year is even better, but that might be asking too much!) :d

It's tough waiting...isn't it.:D

The Montepulciano will taste better after 6 months, the Shiraz will probably take about a year. Patience is the key with reds.

Peace,
Bob

I'm making the Montepulciano right now, and it's one of the thickest reds I've made yet. Two week into clarifying, and I can barely see my deer-finder flashlight through the carboy. I think this is a terrific kit, I've bought several bottles from my local brew shop and it's a really dry, medium fruit, spicy, extra long finish style wine. This one begs for a plate of lasagna!

make some white right away and drink them until the reds are ready, who are we kidding these are his first, they won't last 6 months. Welcome to the hobby. BTW dont believe that guy claiming it will pay for itself. Start looking for a good used Italian floor cooker now. :) :)

Last edited:
make some white right away and drink them untill the reds are ready, who are we kidding these are his first, they won't last 6 months

I knew I would be in the same boat. I made three white kits before I started a merlot.

Waiting is tough and requires dicipline and lots of patience.

What makes it tough is when you first start you don't know if it will turn out okay or if you will like making wine so you start off small. Then you wished you had made more.

Once you pass that hurdle make as much as you can to get a stock pile, then make what you can drink/give away each year and rotate your stock.

It gets better each year.

I'm making the Montepulciano right now, and it's one of the thickest reds I've made yet. Two week into clarifying, and I can barely see my deer-finder flashlight through the carboy. I think this is a terrific kit, I've bought several bottles from my local brew shop and it's a really dry, medium fruit, spicy, extra long finish style wine. This one begs for a plate of lasagna!

The Luna Rosa so far has been the "Thickest", but If I was a betting man, the New Zeland Pinot Noir will probably turn out to be the best tasting after/if it ages properly.

I had to put in that IF...

:dg

Peace,
Bob

Latest posts

Back