Red Clover Flower Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbullard1

Reaction score
Have any or you tried this/ What did you think of it?
I have picked the flowers and am going to follow Jack Kellers directions

It looks like the recipe simular to dandeloin. I would not add enzyme. Have you tasted it before?

It looks like the recipe simular to dandeloin. I would not add enzyme. Have you tasted it before?

Never tasted Clover Wine before Tom
I am very new to winemaking just started last fall making a concord juice redneck wine now I have a pear,sweet potato, white grape/peach, orange apple pineapple and a few others mellowing out

Keep us posted on this one as well as your others.

Are you adding raisins for body or any other fruit
then I would surely add pectic enzyme.

If you are adding anything except for the flowers
and sugar: use pectic enzyme.

Luc

Be careful with the starting sg as Jacks recipes usually start with pretty high sg's which will usually result in taking around 1 1/2 years or more for the abv to settle in and the wine to smooth out. Sometimes it will just mask the flavor all together!

Be careful with the starting sg as Jacks recipes usually start with pretty high sg's which will usually result in taking around 1 1/2 years or more for the abv to settle in and the wine to smooth out. Sometimes it will just mask the flavor all together!

I agree. I haven't had a whole lot of desirable results with his recipes. Some are good but overall, they make rocket fuel. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help
This is a one gallon batch
I added a campden tablet and used my hydrometer to get a sg of 1.080 I have added the yeast this morning lalvin 1116
And yes to the sugar My first wine was a strawberry from Jacks site and it is just now getting drinkable

I'll keep you updated
I taste tested the must before adding the yeast and it has a very pleasant taste

Well I'm 4 days into this and it smells fantastic, I also stole an ounce or so for a taste, I hope it maintains its character throughout the fermentation

Maybe time to pick enough flowers for a 6 gallon batch

And here it is in the secondary
Already tastes good enough to drink :h
It shocked me at the amount of color that came from the flowers

ColverFlowerWineSmall.jpg

:b
The flavor is hard for me to describe "pleasant" "different, but good" :D

I'll keep you updated
I am impressed with the color as well. Never would of thought you could get that much red out of them. If it tastes half as good as it looks it will be great! Really curious about the flavour ??

MadRiver
I wish I could do a better job of describing the flavor. It is a very subtle and pleasant flavor, to me anyway.
I have no idea what a "Good" or "Quality" wine is supposed to taste like
I live in rural north Mississippi where bourbon, whiskeys, some Vodkas and commercial beers are the normal drinks with a little "shine" thrown for good measure.
Everyone at my crawfish boil a few weeks ago drank all my Strawberry wine, Pear wine and the girls put a strong dent in my Raspberry/White Grape Kool - Ade.

About the only thing I know for sure about winemaking is you need to give it time, lots and lots of time. If you think it is ready; rack it again and wait at least 2 more months.

I am impressed. One thing we have alot of in Ohio is clover. I think it is red clover but not sure. Nice pinkish red color to the flowers. I may have to try a gallon of this. I am pretty new at this and really getting into experimenting. I have a good supply of 3 liter jugs and want to fill a bunch of them. I have a 3l of strawberry and a 4l of apple going now. Thanks for the pic and keep us posted. You may win a prize for best looking wine:b

The color has mellowed a little, that picture was taken just after straining out the flower heads and is real cloudy.
The fermentation is slowing and is almost dry :D

Well here we are 13 days later
Fermentation seems to have stopped but will wait a while longer
Thiefed out a small taste and WOW
It is also clearing fast :D
Picture002-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back