Red & Bronze Scuppernong Wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsf77

Reaction score
We’re harvesting our scuppernongs like mad. Very, very good year for them. We’re making red, bronze, and blush wines. We’ve been picking through them and throwing the totally unripe ones away. My choice of pick is ones that are soft and almost gone to sugar, however our method of harvesting doesn’t differentiate.

The question that popped into my mind was with the ones that aren’t quite totally ripe (70%). It seems I read where that would actually add a tartness to the taste but I don’t remember. What effect would those that are more green than ripe have on the taste, if any?

Had to Google what on earth a scuppernong was. Maybe I'll get down south sometime and try some muscadine wine. Good luck and cheers.

Save those for making jelly. Less ripe muscadines will assist the jelly in jelling and jelly is so full of sugar that the tartness or harsh taste from a few green ones won't make much difference. But muscadine wine is harsh and acidic enough without having unripe fruit making it moreso.

Latest posts

Back