red blend ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best answer I can give you is "yes". I realize that doesn't help much ...

Field blends are easy. Dump it together and don't worry about it. This includes both pre- and post-fermentation. Do your research on the varietals, and roll the dice.

2022 is a different animal for me. I have two varietals (Grenache and Tempranillo) that are in barrels. I also made a field blend (Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Syrah) that is carboy aging, no oak. In November-ish (depending on when the 2023 wines are ready for barrel) I will blind taste various blends of the field blend into both the Grenache and Tempranillo, then make the blends. The Grenache will certainly be blended (I eye-balled an 80/20 blend post fermentation that was WOW), and will probably blend at least 5% into the Tempranillo.

IMO the biggest mistake people make is second-guessing themselves. As I'm fond of saying, the enemy of Good is not Bad, it's Better, as in "this is good but I can make it better." That's in the same vein as "hold my beer and watch this!"

In your situation? In July or August I'd make a few experimental blends, and blind taste them. I had a complicated way of doing this, but the easy way is to make up the blends and put them in identical wine bottles. Bag 'em, and have someone else mix them up and label 1 through N. Everyone tastes, ranks their favorites, then reveal which is which.
Thanks.

And after you blend you age in bulk again before bottling? That’s my main question. I guess it makes sense to give the newly created wine some time to blend in bulk instead of individually in bottles.

When to blend is a matter of preference. Bulk aging the blend for a month or more gives you the option to make any further changes if you’re not happy with it. That could be beneficial if blending wines with opposite characteristics. Such as low acid with high acid, sometimes you can’t predict what the final blend will taste like.

I’ve done it both ways. Not sure there is a right or wrong way, just different.

And after you blend you age in bulk again before bottling? That’s my main question. I guess it makes sense to give the newly created wine some time to blend in bulk instead of individually in bottles.
I agree with @Ohio Bob, there's no right or wrong.

What will happen in November is that I will decide upon blends, make 'em, and bottle 'em. Decision made. No indecision.

I'm in IT, and we have what is called "analysis paralysis", e.g., people keep thinking and re-thinking decisions, making NO decision. When you have a blend you like, MAKE the decision and bottle it.

Your last meal, what TV show you watched last, and how you are feeling will affect your opinion regarding a blend. Tomorrow you will make a different decision.

Once the wine is bottled, all decision making is done. If you were happy today, you'll be happy tomorrow. The enemy of Good is not Bad, it's Better. :)

No help? We both gave as much help as we could. Each method has its benefits. If life gets in the way, then blend and bottle. If you’ve got time and the curiosity, then bulk age and bottle when your good and ready. What do you want from us mere amateurs! :i

No help? We both gave as much help as we could. Each method has its benefits. If life gets in the way, then blend and bottle. If you’ve got time and the curiosity, then bulk age and bottle when your good and ready. What do you want from us mere amateurs! :i
Sorry. I get it. I guess the humor didn’t come through that well.

ETA. I want absolute certitude. Enough of this wishy-washy advice 🤣 I want all ten winemakers to come to consensus. 😉

And a unicorn 🦄

Last edited:
@ChuckD, I enjoy your POV. I appreciate the humor! But if you are expecting consensus, you've been drinking FAR too much!

You'll rarely get an exact answer from me. Unless you read between the lines, where I'm telling you exactly what to do. Taste your wines, make a decision, and go with it. Don't worry beyond that.

I opened a bottle from the Costco Wine Advent calendar, a Portuguese white blend: El Campeon, which is 70% Fernão Pires and 30% Branco Arinto. AFAIK, neither grape is grown in the USA, so it's unlikely that I'll ever make either, but it's a very tasty blend.

el campeon.jpg

I have been re-scanning this thread and noticed a few Zin/Cab blends metioned. Somewhere I ran across an article discussing blending and it mentioned that Zin and Cabernet Sauv would have a clash of flavors if blended, and I didn't expect to see a commercial wine made like this, just homebrew stuff. Well, Costco had one and I wish I remembered the name. I thought it was quite good. Now that I have started growing some Zinfandel myself, maybe I won't focus on a Zin/PS blend after all, just add it to the Cab/Merlot pot.

I have been re-scanning this thread and noticed a few Zin/Cab blends metioned. Somewhere I ran across an article discussing blending and it mentioned that Zin and Cabernet Sauv would have a clash of flavors if blended, and I didn't expect to see a commercial wine made like this, just homebrew stuff. Well, Costco had one and I wish I remembered the name. I thought it was quite good. Now that I have started growing some Zinfandel myself, maybe I won't focus on a Zin/PS blend after all, just add it to the Cab/Merlot pot.
I agree with Craig -- I know I've had CS/Zin blends I liked. It's not common, but it works. It may be that the author wanted the wine to taste like CS, but IME, adding Zin is going to make a significant change. This is perfectly fine, unless you want the result to taste like CS.

Probably the article was written by a purist. The attitude seems in a similar vein as Cab Sauv/Syrah blends which are common in Australia, and is associated with a too big, overripe style. I will note that when I blind taste that blend I cannot put my finger on what I am tasting.

I make a lot of cab, but this year made a malbec cab blend (60/40) that is looking good, but I made a blend of Zinfandel Barberra (70/30) n 2020 that is quite tasty now.

We bottled our 2022 Vintage on Friday, took 3 of us 6 hours including cleanup.
These 2 are without question the best wine we have made, we have moved another level of quality and taste.
The input and knowledge I have acquired over the years of trial and error, and reading this list with all the combined experience, has contributed greatly to our amazing results. Thank you to all who have responded to me with questions in the past several years.
Both are exceptional and great drinking wines I highly recommend either blend. Previously years we have always did a Zin blend, these 2 are much better in my opinion.
Barbera: Barbera 81%, Sangiovese 13%, Petite Sirah 6% (200 Bottles)
Sangiovese: (Super Tuscan)
Sangiovese 44%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 10%, Petite Sirah 6% (768 Bottles)

Last edited:
These 2 are without question the best wine we have made, we have moved another level of quality and taste.
The input and knowledge I have acquired over the years of trial and error, and reading this list with all the combined experience, has contributed greatly to our amazing results. Thank you to all who have responded to me with questions in the past several years.
Both are exceptional and great drinking wines I highly recommend either blend. Previously years we have always did a Zin blend, these 2 are must better in my opinion.
Barbera: Barbera 81%, Sangiovese 13%, Petite Sirah 6% (200 Bottles)
Sangiovese: (Super Tuscan)
Sangiovese 44%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 10%, Petite Sirah 6% (768 Bottles)
😮 that’s a lot of bottles!
Were they field blended or at the bench?

Sangiovese: (Super Tuscan) Sangiovese 44%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 10%, Petite Sirah 6% (768 Bottles)
That is quite the melange, and you have a lot! It's giving me some ideas.

Regardless, It reminds me.....I need to go bottle today!

Last edited:
Back