red blend ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for doing this post. My best wine last year was a 75% Pinot Noir co-fermented with 25% Syrah grapes. It was also my only blend of 6 reds that I did least year and by far the best wine that I made. So, I decided moving forward that I need to explore blending more. This year Im working on a few Italian blends. Will send you my post once I've sampled them. Also, working on a few fruit wine blends. Not sure if you are tracking fruit wines, but would be curious to hear from others on successful combinations. Maybe in another forum.

Not sure if you are tracking fruit wines, but would be curious to hear from others on successful combinations.
I see no reason to not add fruit wine combinations to the list. I'm tracking everything in a MS Access database (added your Pinot Noir/Syrah), and posting a report from the DB every couple of months. I add another category (Fruit Wine) or two (Fruit/Grape Wine), and the report doesn't change, it just has a new section or two.

Has anyone done a Barbera/Grenache blend? I had to pick early this year due to rain but had some Barbera and Grenache that was just too green. Later had weeks of good weather and picked around some rot in both to get enough for a batch of field blend. It's fermenting now.

Has anyone done a Barbera/Grenache blend? I had to pick early this year due to rain but had some Barbera and Grenache that was just too green. Later had weeks of good weather and picked around some rot in both to get enough for a batch of field blend. It's fermenting now.
What are the percentage of each? An approximate value is fine.

I had 75lbs of Barbera and 65lbs of Grenache.
Check your acid levels. Barbara tends to be a little high. If the Grenache is low you might be perfect - otherwise you might need a slight adjustment. Should be an interesting blend!

Yesterday I pressed 2 FWK Tavola Merlot kit -- each had the pomace from 8 lugs of grapes added, Grenache to one and Tempranillo to the other. I grossed 9 gallons of wine from the Merlot/Grenache pomace wine, and 8 gallons from the Merlot/Tempranillo pomace wine. Obviously, a fair amount of wine is left in the pomace, else the kits would gross 6 gallons.

This produces a 67% Merlot / 33% Grenache blend, and a 75% Merlot / 25% Tempranillo blend. Initial tasting of completely green wines was actually good. I have good expectations for both.

However, I'm not adding them to our list, as being kit-wine based, they don't fit the purpose of this thread. If we had enough entries, I'd make a similar thread in the Kit Wine forum, but I don't see a lot of folks posting about blending kits.

Finally had time to do blending trials with a focus on Italian varieties this year. In previous years, I've made straight varietals from Nebbiolo and Sangiovese that turned out excellent aged with french oak cubes (nebbiolo) and slightly sweet but a family favorite (sangiovese). This year I selected Nebbiolo, Montepulciano, Barbera, Merlot, and Muscat to work with. The Muscat was something that I added as a wild card based on conversations with a few old timers that used field blends with both red and white grapes, but could not be sure which grapes and in what proportions. So I decided why not and bought 2 cases of Muscat and co-fermented with the Nebbiolo and Montepulciano. That was my only fixed starting point since everything else was fermented separately. After trying many combinations with the varieties that I had available, and based solely on my taste which tends to lean towards medium-bodied dry red wines, I decided that in every instance the barbara added something to each varietal as an excellent blending grape (similar to alicante bouschet). I should also mention that I like to stay above the 70% threshold with a single varietal as a baseline that is blended with enhancements, as opposed to a blend with no rules. I attached my blending sheet, but here they are:

Nebbiolo (70.5%) + Barbara (21.2%) + Muscat (8.3%)
Montepulciano (70.5%) + Barbara (21.2%) + Muscat (8.3%)
Merlot (78.9%) + Barbara (21.2%)

After finishing the blends this week, I plan to start ML Inoculation and will add different oak cubes based on how much or how little tannin I can taste in each. I'll let ML ride for 2 months, then rack and age for 1-year before bottling. My goal is always to try and get everything bottled before next year's harvest. If anyone has any adds or suggestions, Im open ears.

Attachments

• 2022 Blends.jpg
    2022 Blends.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
Red wines are classified in accordance with how they taste on the tongue or their body. This is determined by the amount of dissolved solids, also called tannins and the alcohol content of the wine. A wine with light body, for example, contains lower tannins and appeals lightly on the palate. Alternatively, a full-bodied wine feels heavier on the palate and may have maximum alcohol content. There are medium-bodied wines falling in between the two classifications. Those that come from cooler wine regions such as Germany, the UK, and Austria, are usually light-bodied wines. Full-bodied ones, however, include the Australian Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon from California, and Argentina's Malbec. Those that are manufactured in areas like Bordeaux, Washington, and Burgundy are medium-bodied wines. But of course, the best tasting ones are those that are produced in our very own regions.

few outstanding ones you should be familiar with such as:

Syrah/Sirah​

Cabernet Sauvignon​

Merlot​

Pinot Noir​

My two favorite blends are reds. The first is 40% Barbera, 40% red Zinfandel and 20% Alicante. I learned this from the elderly Italian man who sold me my first wine making equipment. It’s a really pleasant blend. It’s light bodied, fruity and as some people say, just a friendly wine to drink.
The other one is a Sangiovese blend and from what I’ve read there are many different varietals that are used in making this wine. we use equal amounts of Cabernet sauvignon, Cabernet franc, Merlot and Sangiovese grapes. This is also a very drinkable and friendly red.
I’m not big on bold, tannic reds so these to suit me perfectly

When using grapes, are you fermenting them separately and blending the wines or fermenting all the varietals together?
I have read that it’s best to ferment them separately and then blend them when racking much later on. It’s what I do and it seems to work well. I would love to see what other more experienced wine makers are doing so I will keep an eye on this thread.

Best? It’s just different. Much easier to tweak the exact taste you want in a blend if fermenting separately. It’s what I always do. If I was field blending grapes I might not keep them separate.

Field blending simplifies the process. The “if”comes with experience, tempered by the harvest and condition (important for those of us east of the Mississippi).

Blending allows more options. At least in my experience, is the “but” is that there can be a difference between containers. I don’t know why this happens.

Field blending simplifies the process.
Very true. Additionally, small producers may not have the space to bulk age numerous batches. We have to fit our practices to our situations.

Best? It’s just different. Much easier to tweak the exact taste you want in a blend if fermenting separately. It’s what I always do. If I was field blending grapes I might not keep them separate.
Emphasis mine. You make an excellent point.

When preparing for a field blend, I research the grape varieties, looking at characteristics AND at commercial blends. This is why I started this thread, figuring if I'm looking for ideas, so are others.

Then I roll the dice. For the 2020 reds, I made Merlot, Zinfandel, and a Bordeaux Blend (equal parts CS, CF, Malbec, PV), all fermented separately, and at pressing time I blended based upon what sounded like good blends, altered by my available containers. I have two 54 liter barrels and had to fill both + have sufficient topup for a year. So I rolled the dice and blended blindly.

Could I have made better blends? The answer is "no", since I made my decision and any other decision would have been just as blind.

IMO post aging blending doesn't produce the best blend, it produces the best blend at that moment. Blend a week sooner or later, have something different for dinner, e.g., numerous things might change the blender's sensory feelings. If working in a group, these points affect all the participants, and a change in the roster might change the blend.

Again, IMO, think before you do and make the best decision you can at that moment. Then don't worry about "what might have been", as there's no going back.

Red Grape - WMT

Alicante

tullamore: Alicante 60%, Muscat 40%

Barbera

tullamore: Barbera 90%, Petite Sirah 10%

tullamore: Barbera 85%, Petite Sirah 15%

CDrew: Barbera 80%, Sangiovese 15%, Aglianico 5%

tullamore: Barbera 80%, Sangiovese 15%, Petite Sirah 5%

tullamore: Barbera 60%, Dolcetto 30%, Nebbiolo 10%

Joe B.: Barbera 54%, Grenache 46%

Clammypollack: Barbera 40%, Zinfandel 40%, Alicante 20%

Barbera

Mac60: Barbera 81%, Sangiovese 13%, Petite Sirah 6%

Cabernet Franc

Nebbiolo020: Cabernet Franc 85%, Merlot 5%, Carmenere 5%, Alicante Bouschet 5%

Cabernet Sauvignon

Mainshipfred: Cabernet Sauvignon 80%, Petit Verdot 12%, Tannat 8%

Guasto-IS: Cabernet Sauvignon 78%, Merlot 8%, Cabernet Franc 8%, Petit Verdot 4%, Malbec 2%

Kitchen: Cabernet Sauvignon 72%, Merlot 28%

DistanceRunner: Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Franc 10%

kitchen: Cabernet Sauvignon 57%, Petite Sirah 43%

NCWC: Cabernet Sauvignon 51%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 13%, Sangiovese 10%

Meadini: Cabernet Sauvignon 50%, Merlot 30%, Syrah 20%

Clammypollack: Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Cabernet Franc 25%, Merlot 25%, Sangiovese 25%

Carmenere

Chuck E: Carmenere 50%, Malbec 50%

Grenache

winemaker81: Grenache 62.50%, Syrah 37.50%, Mourvedre 12.50%

Meadini: Grenache 50%, Syrah 25%, Merlot 25%

Merlot

StimVino: Merlot 78.90%, Barbera 21.20%

winemaker81: Merlot 67%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8.25%, Cabernet Franc 8.25%, Petit Verdot 8.25%, Malbec 8.25%

Jbu50: Merlot 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Petit Verdot 20%, Malbec 10%, Cabernet Franc 10%

winemaker81: Merlot 40%, Zinfandel 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Petit Verdot 5%, Malbec 5%

Montepulciano

StimVino: Montepulciano 70.50%, Barbara 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Nebbiolo

justsgm: Nebbiolo 90%, Petite Sirah 10%

StimVino: Nebbiolo 70.50%, Barbera 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Petite Sirah

Hazelmere: Petite Sirah 74%, Regent 26%

Pinot Noir

StimVino: Pinot Noir 75%, Syrah 25%

Primitivo

CDrew: Primitivo 60%, Syrah 40%

Sangiovese

tullamore: Sangiovese 85%, Sagrantino 15%

justsgm: Sangiovese 75%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%, Alicante 5%

Meadini: Sangiovese 60%, Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Merlot 15%

tullamore: Sangiovese 60%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 15%, Syrah 5%

mainshipfred: Sangiovese 60%, Nebbiolo 20%, Alicante 20%

winemaker81: Sangiovese 50%, Montipulciano 12.50%, Nebbiolo 12.50%, Nero D'avoia 12.50%, Sagrantino 12.50%

Mac60: Sangiovese 45%, Cabernet Sauvignon 35%, Merlot 15%, Petite Sirah 5%

Mac60: Sangiovese 44%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 10%, Petite Sirah 6%

NCWC: Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.50%, Petite Sirah 5.50%

buzi: Sangiovese 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 20%

Syrah

winemaker81: Syrah 33.30%, Petite Sirah 33.30%, Merlot 33.30%

Zinfandel

Dom1950: Zinfandel 75%, Alicante 25%

Chuck E: Zinfandel 75%, Petit Syrah 25%

Mac60: Zinfandel 75%, Syrah 13%, Petite Sirah 7%, Merlot 5%

Kraffty: Zinfandel 50%, Merlot 20%, Malbec 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%

Red Grape - Commercial

Cabernet Franc

McGregor Winery – Rob Roy: Cabernet Franc 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Merlot 20%

Cabernet Sauvignon

Mark Ryan Winery - Dead Horse: Cabernet Sauvignon 85%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Franc 4%, Petit Verdot 1%

Justin Vineyards – Isosceles: Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Cabernet Franc 11%, Merlot 10%

San Acacia Cellars – Caballo Muerto: Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Merlot 9%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8%, Malbec 2%, Petite Verdot 2%

Red Head - Red Sedan: Cabernet Sauvignon 60%, Shiraz 40%

Grenache

Cabalié: Grenache 70%, Syrah 20%, Carignan 10%

Domaine de la Presidente - Cotes du Rhone: Grenache 50%, Syrah 35%, Carignan 10%, Mourvedre 5%

Merlot

Tentation de Dalem – Fronsac: Merlot 95%, Cabernet Franc 5%

Chateau Bellevue – Bordeaux: Merlot 65%, Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Cabernet Franc 10%

Montepulciano

Antionio Federici - Roma Rosso: Montepulciano 60%, Cesanese 40%

Tempranillo

Latitud 42 – Rioja Reserva: Tempranillo 95%, Graciano 5%

White Grape - WMT

Chardonnay

BarrelMonkey: Chardonnay 50%, Pinot Noir (white) 40%, Viognier 10%

Chenin Blanc

Kitchen: Chenin Blanc 67.70%, Sauvignon Blanc 33.30%

GewurztramineR

ratflinger: GewurztramineR 50%, Piesporter 50%

Muscato

Guasto-IS: Muscato 78%, Alicante 22%

White Grape - Commercial

Semillion

Chateau Belingard – Reserve Monbazillac: Semillion 70%, Muscadelle 15%, Sauvignon Blanc 15%

Red Grape - WMT

Alicante

Barbera

Barbera

Cabernet Franc

Cabernet Sauvignon

Guasto-IS: Cabernet Sauvignon 78%, Merlot 8%, Cabernet Franc 8%, Petit Verdot 4%, Malbec 2%

Clammypollack: Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Cabernet Franc 25%, Merlot 25%, Sangiovese 25%

Carmenere

Grenache

winemaker81: Grenache 62.50%, Syrah 37.50%, Mourvedre 12.50%

Merlot

winemaker81: Merlot 67%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8.25%, Cabernet Franc 8.25%, Petit Verdot 8.25%, Malbec 8.25%

Jbu50: Merlot 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Petit Verdot 20%, Malbec 10%, Cabernet Franc 10%

winemaker81: Merlot 40%, Zinfandel 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Petit Verdot 5%, Malbec 5%

Montepulciano

StimVino: Montepulciano 70.50%, Barbara 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Nebbiolo

StimVino: Nebbiolo 70.50%, Barbera 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Petite Sirah

Pinot Noir

Primitivo

Sangiovese

winemaker81: Sangiovese 50%, Montipulciano 12.50%, Nebbiolo 12.50%, Nero D'avoia 12.50%, Sagrantino 12.50%

NCWC: Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.50%, Petite Sirah 5.50%

Syrah

Zinfandel

Red Grape - Commercial

Cabernet Franc

McGregor Winery – Rob Roy: Cabernet Franc 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Merlot 20%

Cabernet Sauvignon

Mark Ryan Winery - Dead Horse: Cabernet Sauvignon 85%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Franc 4%, Petit Verdot 1%

Justin Vineyards – Isosceles: Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Cabernet Franc 11%, Merlot 10%

San Acacia Cellars – Caballo Muerto: Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Merlot 9%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8%, Malbec 2%, Petite Verdot 2%

Grenache

Domaine de la Presidente - Cotes du Rhone: Grenache 50%, Syrah 35%, Carignan 10%, Mourvedre 5%

Merlot

Chateau Bellevue – Bordeaux: Merlot 65%, Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Cabernet Franc 10%

Montepulciano

Tempranillo

White Grape - WMT

Chardonnay

Chenin Blanc

Kitchen: Chenin Blanc 67.70%, Sauvignon Blanc 33.30%

GewurztramineR

ratflinger: GewurztramineR 50%, Piesporter 50%

Muscato

White Grape - Commercial

Semillion

Chateau Belingard – Reserve Monbazillac: Semillion 70%, Muscadelle 15%, Sauvignon Blanc 15%
Great list you put together.. Thank you, its a great quick refrence.

It's been a few months since I published an update. If I missed anything, let me know.

Red Grape - WMT

Alicante

Barbera

Barbera

Cabernet Franc

Cabernet Sauvignon

Carmenere

Grenache

winemaker81: Grenache 62.5%, Syrah 37.5%, Mourvedre 12.5%

Merlot

Montepulciano

StimVino: Montepulciano 70.5%, Barbara 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Nebbiolo

StimVino: Nebbiolo 70.5%, Barbera 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Petite Sirah

Pinot Noir

Primitivo

Sangiovese

winemaker81: Sangiovese 50%, Montepulciano 12.5%, Nebbiolo 12.5%, Nero D'avoia 12.5%, Sagrantino 12.5%

NCWC: Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.5%, Petite Sirah 5.5%

Syrah

Zinfandel

Red Grape - Commercial

Cabernet Franc

Cabernet Sauvignon

Grenache

Merlot

Montepulciano

Shiraz

Andean Vineyards - Waxed Bat: Shiraz 47%, Cabernet Sauvignon 32%, Malbec 21%

Tempranillo

White Grape - WMT

Chardonnay

Chenin Blanc

Kitchen: Chenin Blanc 67.7%, Sauvignon Blanc 33.3%

Gewurztraminer

ratflinger: Gewurztraminer 50%, Piesporter 50%

Muscato

White Grape - Commercial

Semillion

IMO post aging blending doesn't produce the best blend, it produces the best blend at that moment. Blend a week sooner or later, have something different for dinner, e.g., numerous things might change the blender's sensory feelings. If working in a group, these points affect all the participants, and a change in the roster might change the blend.
I never thought about WHEN to blend. What would you typically do? I have three northern hybrids that just finished MLF and I was going to do a blend prior to bottling this summer or next fall. Would you normally blend at some intermediate time then age for a few more months?

I never thought about WHEN to blend. What would you typically do? I have three northern hybrids that just finished MLF and I was going to do a blend prior to bottling this summer or next fall. Would you normally blend at some intermediate time then age for a few more months?
The best answer I can give you is "yes". I realize that doesn't help much ...

Field blends are easy. Dump it together and don't worry about it. This includes both pre- and post-fermentation. Do your research on the varietals, and roll the dice.

2022 is a different animal for me. I have two varietals (Grenache and Tempranillo) that are in barrels. I also made a field blend (Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Syrah) that is carboy aging, no oak. In November-ish (depending on when the 2023 wines are ready for barrel) I will blind taste various blends of the field blend into both the Grenache and Tempranillo, then make the blends. The Grenache will certainly be blended (I eye-balled an 80/20 blend post fermentation that was WOW), and will probably blend at least 5% into the Tempranillo.

IMO the biggest mistake people make is second-guessing themselves. As I'm fond of saying, the enemy of Good is not Bad, it's Better, as in "this is good but I can make it better." That's in the same vein as "hold my beer and watch this!"

In your situation? In July or August I'd make a few experimental blends, and blind taste them. I had a complicated way of doing this, but the easy way is to make up the blends and put them in identical wine bottles. Bag 'em, and have someone else mix them up and label 1 through N. Everyone tastes, ranks their favorites, then reveal which is which.

It's been a few months since I published an update. If I missed anything, let me know.

Red Grape - WMT

Alicante

Barbera

Barbera

Cabernet Franc

Cabernet Sauvignon

Carmenere

Grenache

winemaker81: Grenache 62.5%, Syrah 37.5%, Mourvedre 12.5%

Merlot

Montepulciano

StimVino: Montepulciano 70.5%, Barbara 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Nebbiolo

StimVino: Nebbiolo 70.5%, Barbera 21.20%, Muscat 8.30%

Petite Sirah

Pinot Noir

Primitivo

Sangiovese

winemaker81: Sangiovese 50%, Montepulciano 12.5%, Nebbiolo 12.5%, Nero D'avoia 12.5%, Sagrantino 12.5%

NCWC: Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.5%, Petite Sirah 5.5%

Syrah

Zinfandel

Red Grape - Commercial

Cabernet Franc

Cabernet Sauvignon

Grenache

Merlot

Montepulciano

Shiraz

Andean Vineyards - Waxed Bat: Shiraz 47%, Cabernet Sauvignon 32%, Malbec 21%

Tempranillo

White Grape - WMT

Chardonnay

Chenin Blanc

Kitchen: Chenin Blanc 67.7%, Sauvignon Blanc 33.3%

Gewurztraminer

ratflinger: Gewurztraminer 50%, Piesporter 50%

Muscato

White Grape - Commercial

Semillion

Awesome list. Thanks.

Back