red blend ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can certainly be called Super Tuscan Style or maybe Uber Tuscan.
I didn't intend to sound critical of the naming. I was surprised at how loose the Super Tuscan description actually is.

Those of us who are amateurs can name wines anything we want. But it's handy to have descriptive labels such as Meritage, Rhone, or Super Tuscan.

For my purposes, I'm going with my original (incorrect) understanding, and will probably label a Vinifera red that is at least half Italian grapes "Super Tuscan". Meritage is at least half Bordeaux grapes, and Rhone is at least half Rhone grapes. And if the wine is 33% each Italian, Bordeaux, and Rhone? I'll flip a coin or make something up! 😆

@distancerunner, I'd call your blends Super Tuscan and Meritage.

I was wrong. Super Tuscan is made from French origin grapes grown in Italy.
I believe the grapes has to be grown in Tuscany, not anywhere in Italy.
The wine is simply a blend of French origin grapes, and it doesn't have to be a blend. One Super Tuscan is 100% Merlot ...
Since "Super Tuscan" isn't a defined blend but only denotes a wine made of grapes from Tuscany that may use non indigenous grapes, why use it at all? Unless the grapes are grown in Tuscany that is. Amateurs can call their wine whatever they want but I'm not to happy when commercial companies are a bit less strict (and hence IMHO are misleading consumers)

I believe the grapes has to be grown in Tuscany, not anywhere in Italy.

Since "Super Tuscan" isn't a defined blend but only denotes a wine made of grapes from Tuscany that may use non indigenous grapes, why use it at all? Unless the grapes are grown in Tuscany that is. Amateurs can call their wine whatever they want but I'm not to happy when commercial companies are a bit less strict (and hence IMHO are misleading consumers)
My understanding (could be wrong) is that the term Super Tuscan emerged as a marketing tool used by Tuscan wine makers who wanted to make these wines but were frustrated by Italian laws about what they could call it be because the grapes are not indigenous to them. I agree that it only matters when searching for commercial wines.

My understanding of "super Tuscan" is that Tuscan growers grew mostly sangiovese historically and called the wine Chianti. When they saw French growers getting premium $ for Bordeaux blends, they started planting Bordeaux varieties in Tuscany and then blending the grapes with the existing Sangiovese grapes and charging more money. The moniker of "Super Tuscan" caught on, and here we are. But a Super Tuscan will in most if not all cases have a substantial amount of Sangiovese as the base wine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscan_wine#Super_Tuscans

A few more blends added to the list, including a Merlot heavy Bordeaux with 20% Cabernet Franc. I haven't seen a Bordeaux with that much CF before -- it was quite good.

WMT:
  • tullamore – Alicante 60%, Muscat 40%
  • tullamore – Barbera 85%, Petite Sirah 15%
  • tullamore – Barbera 60%, Dolcetto 30%, Nebbiolo 10%
  • Mainshipfred – Cabernet Sauvignon 80%, Petit Verdot 12%, Tannat 8%
  • DistanceRunner – Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Franc 10%
  • NCWC – Cabernet Sauvignon 51%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 13%, Sangiovese 10%
  • Meadini – Cabernet Sauvignon 50%, Merlot 30%, Syrah 20%
  • Chuck E – Carmenere 50%, Malbec 50%
  • winemaker81 – Grenache 62.5%, Syrah 37.5%, Mourvedre 12.5%
  • Meadini – Grenache 50%, Syrah 25%, Merlot 25%
  • distancerunner – Merlot 75%, Cabernet Sauvignon 15%, Cabernet Franc 10
  • winemaker81 – Merlot 67%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8.3%, Cabernet Franc 8.25%, Petit Verdot 8.25%, Malbec 8.25%
  • Jbu50 – Merlot 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Petit Verdot 20%, Malbec 10%, Cabernet Franc 10%
  • winemaker81 – Merlot 40%, Zinfandel 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Petit Verdot 5%, Malbec 5%
  • justsgm – Nebbiolo 90%, Petite Sirah 10%
  • CDrew – Primitivo 60%, Syrah 40%
  • tullamore – Sangiovese 85%, Sagrantino 15%
  • distancerunner – Sangiovese 80%, Merlot 20%
  • justsgm – Sangiovese 75%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%, Alicante 5%
  • Meadini – Sangiovese 60%, Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Merlot 15%
  • tullamore – Sangiovese 60%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 15%, Syrah 5%
  • mainshipfred – Sangiovese 60%, Nebbiolo 20%, Alicante 20%
  • winemaker81 – Sangiovese 50%, Montipulciano 12.5%, Nebbiolo 12.5%, Nero D'avoia 12.5%, Sagrantino 12.5%
  • Mac60 – Sangiovese 45%, Cabernet Sauvignon 35%, Merlot 15%, Petite Sirah 5%
  • NCWC – Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.5%, Petite Sirah 5.5%
  • buzi – Sangiovese 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 20%
  • BMarNJ – Zinfandel 75%, Barbera 25%
  • Dom1950 – Zinfandel 75%, Alicante 25%
  • Chuck E – Zinfandel 75%, Petit Syrah 25%
  • Mac60 – Zinfandel 75%, Syrah 13%, Petite Sirah%, 7%, Merlot 5%
  • Kraffty – Zinfandel 50%, Merlot 20%, Malbec 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%
Commercial Wines:
  • McGregor Winery – Rob Roy Blend – Cabernet Franc 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Merlot 20%
  • Justin Vineyards – Isosceles – Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Cabernet Franc 11%, Merlot 10%
  • San Acacia Cellars – Caballo Muerto – Cabernet Sauvignon 79% Merlot, 9%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8%, Malbec 2%, Petite Verdot 2%
  • Latitud 42 – Rioja Reserva – Tempranillo 95%, Graciano 5%
  • Chateau La Fleur, Montagne Saint-Emilion – Bordeaux – Merlot 80%, Cabernet Franc 20%

Last edited:
Do y’all blend wines that were fermented with the same yeast? Do you try and find different compatible yeast and then blend multii finished wines from different yeast?

Do y’all blend wines that were fermented with the same yeast? Do you try and find different compatible yeast and then blend multii finished wines from different yeast?
I do field blends based upon varietal research, and practical examples in commercial wines. I look at yeast and varietal, but don't figure yeast into blending ideas.

I went to a wine blending seminar at one of the local wineries last week. Their intent was to make a varietal Barbera with up to 25% of other varietals they also grew on the property.(More than 25% it could no longer be labeled as Barbera) It ended up being fairly instructive. We would make a blend, taste, then change the percentages, taste again, compare back to base wines etc. It actually was fairly hard work, with notes taken, graduated cylinders filled and emptied, comparisons done and we had to spit out most of the wine or it would have been far too much to then drive home. The blend I preferred had 80% Barbera, 15% Sangiovese and 5% Aliganico. And most interestingly, the small amount of Aliganico was obvious in the blend (cynical me would have thought no difference), and the Sangiovese was a really nice flavor addition as well. Anyway a shout out to Iron Hub winery, which you should check out if you visit Amador County. It's a nice family business who happens to make excellent wine. Iron Hub

Anyway, sitting down with the wine maker and going through the process the way they actually do it was instructive. And the price? $15 which they refunded when you actually showed up, as they put a lot of effort, wine and time into the affair. I have no idea if they will use any of the percentage additions that the group came up with but I came away impressed and learned something too.

But with that said, I came home and blended my leftover 2020s into a "red blend" without doing any comparisons because I was on a mission to complete 2020. (Yea! to having bottles again) So 5.25 gallons each of Syrah, Sangiovese, and Barbera. So 6 cases plus a couple of tasters. Preliminary tasting says good enough to serve to friends. So is it a Rhoney Tuscan? I'm calling it red blend for now, but the syrah is the dominate flavor initially as you would expect.

I went to a wine blending seminar at one of the local wineries last week. Their intent was to make a varietal Barbera with up to 25% of other varietals they also grew on the property.(More than 25% it could no longer be labeled as Barbera) It ended up being fairly instructive. We would make a blend, taste, then change the percentages, taste again, compare back to base wines etc. It actually was fairly hard work, with notes taken, graduated cylinders filled and emptied, comparisons done and we had to spit out most of the wine or it would have been far too much to then drive home. The blend I preferred had 80% Barbera, 15% Sangiovese and 5% Aliganico. And most interestingly, the small amount of Aliganico was obvious in the blend (cynical me would have thought no difference), and the Sangiovese was a really nice flavor addition as well. Anyway a shout out to Iron Hub winery, which you should check out if you visit Amador County. It's a nice family business who happens to make excellent wine. Iron Hub

Anyway, sitting down with the wine maker and going through the process the way they actually do it was instructive. And the price? $15 which they refunded when you actually showed up, as they put a lot of effort, wine and time into the affair. I have no idea if they will use any of the percentage additions that the group came up with but I came away impressed and learned something too.

But with that said, I came home and blended my leftover 2020s into a "red blend" without doing any comparisons because I was on a mission to complete 2020. (Yea! to having bottles again) So 5.25 gallons each of Syrah, Sangiovese, and Barbera. So 6 cases plus a couple of tasters. Preliminary tasting says good enough to serve to friends. So is it a Rhoney Tuscan? I'm calling it red blend for now, but the syrah is the dominate flavor initially as you would expect.
Are you sure that wasn't Aglianico? Aglianico - Wikipedia
That varietal along with Barbera and Montipulciano are my three favorite Italian grapes.

A few more blends added to the list, including a Merlot heavy Bordeaux with 20% Cabernet Franc. I haven't seen a Bordeaux with that much CF before -- it was quite good.

WMT:
  • tullamore – Alicante 60%, Muscat 40%
  • tullamore – Barbera 85%, Petite Sirah 15%
  • tullamore – Barbera 60%, Dolcetto 30%, Nebbiolo 10%
  • Mainshipfred – Cabernet Sauvignon 80%, Petit Verdot 12%, Tannat 8%
  • DistanceRunner – Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Franc 10%
  • NCWC – Cabernet Sauvignon 51%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 13%, Sangiovese 10%
  • Meadini – Cabernet Sauvignon 50%, Merlot 30%, Syrah 20%
  • Chuck E – Carmenere 50%, Malbec 50%
  • winemaker81 – Grenache 62.5%, Syrah 37.5%, Mourvedre 12.5%
  • Meadini – Grenache 50%, Syrah 25%, Merlot 25%
  • distancerunner – Merlot 75%, Cabernet Sauvignon 15%, Cabernet Franc 10
  • winemaker81 – Merlot 67%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8.3%, Cabernet Franc 8.25%, Petit Verdot 8.25%, Malbec 8.25%
  • Jbu50 – Merlot 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Petit Verdot 20%, Malbec 10%, Cabernet Franc 10%
  • winemaker81 – Merlot 40%, Zinfandel 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Petit Verdot 5%, Malbec 5%
  • justsgm – Nebbiolo 90%, Petite Sirah 10%
  • CDrew – Primitivo 60%, Syrah 40%
  • tullamore – Sangiovese 85%, Sagrantino 15%
  • distancerunner – Sangiovese 80%, Merlot 20%
  • justsgm – Sangiovese 75%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%, Alicante 5%
  • Meadini – Sangiovese 60%, Cabernet Sauvignon 25%, Merlot 15%
  • tullamore – Sangiovese 60%, Merlot 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 15%, Syrah 5%
  • mainshipfred – Sangiovese 60%, Nebbiolo 20%, Alicante 20%
  • winemaker81 – Sangiovese 50%, Montipulciano 12.5%, Nebbiolo 12.5%, Nero D'avoia 12.5%, Sagrantino 12.5%
  • Mac60 – Sangiovese 45%, Cabernet Sauvignon 35%, Merlot 15%, Petite Sirah 5%
  • NCWC – Sangiovese 42%, Cabernet Sauvignon 21%, Merlot 26%, Syrah 5.5%, Petite Sirah 5.5%
  • buzi – Sangiovese 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 20%
  • BMarNJ – Zinfandel 75%, Barbera 25%
  • Dom1950 – Zinfandel 75%, Alicante 25%
  • Chuck E – Zinfandel 75%, Petit Syrah 25%
  • Mac60 – Zinfandel 75%, Syrah 13%, Petite Sirah%, 7%, Merlot 5%
  • Kraffty – Zinfandel 50%, Merlot 20%, Malbec 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%
Commercial Wines:
  • McGregor Winery – Rob Roy Blend – Cabernet Franc 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%, Merlot 20%
  • Justin Vineyards – Isosceles – Cabernet Sauvignon 79%, Cabernet Franc 11%, Merlot 10%
  • San Acacia Cellars – Caballo Muerto – Cabernet Sauvignon 79% Merlot, 9%, Cabernet Sauvignon 8%, Malbec 2%, Petite Verdot 2%
  • Latitud 42 – Rioja Reserva – Tempranillo 95%, Graciano 5%
  • Chateau La Fleur, Montagne Saint-Emilion – Bordeaux – Merlot 80%, Cabernet Franc 20%
Decisions, decisions.. getting ready to start a couple kits again for the holidays this fall and I can't seem to make my mind up. Open to suggestions Bryan.

I am a big fan of Meritage and talked to the winemaker at Great Frogs about theirs which was delicious. He didn't share the proportions but I would very much like to replicate one.

I also like the sound of this blend but haven't tasted it yet:
Cold Blooded 19
American - Other
$45.00 / 750 mL Bottle
Bold and daring for the adventurers. Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mourvedre, Petit Verdot, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc blend. Aged in Minnesota oak as an ode to the cold. Striking fruit notes, with jammy flavors and soft oak nuances.

Becker is my jam and I tasted this and it was really lovely:
AUTUNNO 2016
Le Quattro Stagione

Our most recent release in Le Quattro Stagione series is the 2016 Autunno, honoring the Texas Hill Country AVA, our own Becker Estate Vineyard and our good friend and grower, Drew Tallent. A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Petit Verdot evokes a well-rounded Bordeaux, with complex maturity and character. It opens with vivid notes of florals and full fruit, followed by soft, rich tannins balancing the acidity, creating the warmth and depth of a sophisticated wine.

Decisions, decisions.. getting ready to start a couple kits again for the holidays this fall and I can't seem to make my mind up. Open to suggestions
I have a triple batch of FWK Forte Super Tuscan in one barrel, and it's aging VERY nicely. We'll bottle this fall (probably December).

In the other barrel is FWK Forte Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot. We like the Super Tuscan better, but not by a lot. Unless tasted side-by-side, it would be hard to decide which is better. Pretty good for a field blend.

I'll update the blend list and re-post in a day or 2. I have a couple more commercial blend to add to the list, plus new ones posted here.

I have a triple batch of FWK Forte Super Tuscan in one barrel, and it's aging VERY nicely. We'll bottle this fall (probably December).

In the other barrel is FWK Forte Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot. We like the Super Tuscan better, but not by a lot. Unless tasted side-by-side, it would be hard to decide which is better. Pretty good for a field blend.

I'll update the blend list and re-post in a day or 2. I have a couple more commercial blend to add to the list, plus new ones posted here.
what type of oak r u aging with?

The barrels are neutral (12 yo French oak), and I added the 4.5 oz of oak cubes included with the kits. I made a note to myself to ask @Matteo_Lahm what oak is included in the Super Tuscan, Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot Forte kits, but have yet to follow up on it.

Latest posts

Back