Recycled oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Wesley

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone recycle oak chips or staves that have been in carboy? Barrels get reused... why not? If so, what kind of clean procedures do you follow?

Barrels get reused because not all the oak is necessarily given up the first filling. Even if neutral it still provides micro-oxygenation. Everything the chips have to offer are used the first time. Staves I guess could potentially be sanded and re-toasted.

I tried re-using the 6 oz of oak cubes I added to a 54 liter / 14.25 US gallon barrel for 3 months. The recommendation was 2 oz cubes per 5 gallons; hence the 6 oz.

After that, all 6 oz went into one 5 gallon carboy for 3 months. The wine absorbed some character, but it was not a lot. IME cubes are used up after a single use as well.

As Fred stated, barrels continue to have value as a container long after the oak character is used up. I purchased a 10 yo barrel specifically because it was neutral -- I add the oak products I want (American, French, Hungarian, mix-n-match) so I can achieve the character I want in the same barrel.

I use oak spirals only one time. After they contribute their goodness to the wine; they wind up in my smoker, to contribute their goodness to the baby back ribs...

I use barrel and cubes. The spent cubes are always saved for the charcoal grill.

Latest posts

Back