RJ Spagnols Recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never made any RJS kits before, but I'm interested in trying a few out. I usually make Cellar Craft and Vineco...with a few Winexpert in there.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations in the highest 2 lines in the hierarchy (as I understand): the En Primeur and Winery Series lines. I am really into big reds, if that gives you guys any directions. I am not really interested in making any white kits.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

It may not be in the two lines you mention, but I highly recommend the Cru Select BC Meritage, with grapeskins. It was an excellent RQ a couple of years ago and is now a regular offering.

IMO you can't go wrong with either of the series, I've been very happy with how they have both turned out! The winery series is nice because of all the hydrated skins you get with it!

It seems that every brand has it's stand out kits and you are wise to use the forums to seek those out. I have a RJS EP valpolcella aging since November 2010 and a Cru select syrah aging since January 2011. Although I have specific blending plans for both of these at this very early stage they are not among my favorites. Hopefully a year from now I will have an entirely different opinion.

Tony, these will change so dramatically over this time!!!! It still may not be one of your favs at that time but I will say if you had a time machine and could try a sample at this short period of aging and one at 18 months you would not think or believe for that matter that it was from the same batch!!!! I havent done either of these 2 specific kits but I have done each of these wines in different levels of RJS kits and many many other RJS high end kits and none of them have ever disappointed me!

Dugger

I just got back from a store where I asked him to order the BC meritage and he told me that he could not get it as they do not offer it.

Dugger

I just got back from a store where I asked him to order the BC meritage and he told me that he could not get it as they do not offer it.

Very interesting - I got the kit a week ago and have it fermenting now and it is listed in their website under the Cru Select ( near the bottom). The kit is dated from last Oct so I wonder if it is a seasonal offering like some of the ports, although I can't imagine why. It is unusual for a Cru Select kit to have grapeskins, other than their RQ's.
I hope to get to their warehouse soon so will find out for sure.
By the way, the store I bought it from also said it didn't exist but I insisted it did and he called Spagnols and they confirmed they carried it, so he got it in for me.

Dugger
I emailed rj spagnols to ask if it is avalible, I havent heard back from them yet, a freind gave me a bottle a while back, and my opinion on it was that it was one of the better tasting wines.

Yes, Wade, that would be it - it has dried Cab Sauv grapeskins and also some elderberries.

Winery Series Super Tuscan

I highly recommend this too! Winery Grape Skins adds intense tannins to round out the concentrated nose of blackberries and black pepper.

Dugger
I emailed rj spagnols to ask if it is avalible, I havent heard back from them yet, a freind gave me a bottle a while back, and my opinion on it was that it was one of the better tasting wines.

Just to confirm, I visited the warehouse store in Vancouver, and they carry this Meritage on their shelves and it is a regular offering now.

Just to confirm, I visited the warehouse store in Vancouver, and they carry this Meritage on their shelves and it is a regular offering now.

Dugger
I guess I will have to straighten out this little Itallian, and let him know that my sources revealed that this is still avaliable. I asked him to order it with some other wine kits, I am not sure were he is making his orders.

Dugger
I guess I will have to straighten out this little Itallian, and let him know that my sources revealed that this is still avaliable. I asked him to order it with some other wine kits, I am not sure were he is making his orders.

I don't think this kit is yet listed in the latest Spagnols catalogue that retailers use for ordering, so that may be the source of the confusion. If your retailer contacts his supplier or checks the Spagnols website, (s)he can hopefully find it.

Latest posts

Back