Other Recommend next wine kit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibb

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a red from europe. A super Tuscan, Nebiollo, amarone, or something similar.

I prefer a kit with skins. I'm open to any brand.

I've done the grenache cab LE kit, WE select cab sav, I'm fermenting a merlot and syrah juice bucket now.

Winery Series/En Primeur Super Tuscan, Eclipse Nebiollo, or Amarone from Cellar Craft Showcase or Winery Series.

I started a WE SE Int'l Brunello w/skins in 02/2016. It's a little over 19 months old, still in the carboy and I added a bit more oak (an extra 1 oz cubes) than the kit came with and substituted RC212 for the yeast. It had a really distinct kit taste to begin with, but I've noticed the last few months the kit taste has died back quite a bit. There is definitely an underlying cherry component to the flavor profile, plus a ton of dark plum and blackberry overtones. I think this one will eventually turn out to be a really good kit, but at this point I can still tell it wasn't made with fresh grapes. I think if I can be patient I will have wished I started one of these every six months or so. Hope that helps.

Here is a link to the Label Peelers version:

https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...kins/italian-brunello-wine-kit-w-grape-skins/

Last edited:
I just bottled a WE Eclipse Nebbiolo. I am very happy with it. I had it bulk aging for 2 years, which might have something to do with that assessment! It was very soft, very smooth, and delicious.

I have also done CC and WE Amarones back-to-back for comparison's sake. However, it isn't really a fair comparison. I did the CC Showcase nearly straight up, that is, very few tweaks, viz., I used BM45 yeast and some FT Tannin Rouge (8 g). For the WE Selection Internationale, I did a Joeswine "tweakfest." I added 14 g FT Tannin rouge, plus 20 oz. Zante currants, and used BM45 yeast.

I like them both. The CC is a bit more complex. The WE is a bit more robust and sturdy, but kinda simple and one-dimensional.

I have made all these WE and CC kits at one time or another and have had the good fortune to taste test side by side two year and older versions.

There is a distinct preference here for the CC Showcase Amarone and Merlot while the WE comes out better on the Cab and the Nebbiolo. The Nebbiolo comparison was actually against a Ken Ridge Founders Series Barolo made before Ken Ridge was merged into Cellar Craft. Cellar Craft does not offer a Nebbiolo in their Showcase lineup.

I agree with others comments on aging. None of these kits are particularly good after 1 year. They all (excepting maybe CC Showcase Merlot) require at least two years of aging to bring them around. In my experience, even more aging helps if you can restrain yourself that long!

Regards ... Doug

Doug Matheson
Manotick ON

We really like the cc showcase aramone, great kit, skin pack was quite heavy, made a great wine, i highly recommend it.

I have made all these WE and CC kits at one time or another and have had the good fortune to taste test side by side two year and older versions.

There is a distinct preference here for the CC Showcase Amarone and Merlot while the WE comes out better on the Cab and the Nebbiolo. The Nebbiolo comparison was actually against a Ken Ridge Founders Series Barolo made before Ken Ridge was merged into Cellar Craft. Cellar Craft does not offer a Nebbiolo in their Showcase lineup.

I agree with others comments on aging. None of these kits are particularly good after 1 year. They all (excepting maybe CC Showcase Merlot) require at least two years of aging to bring them around. In my experience, even more aging helps if you can restrain yourself that long!

Regards ... Doug

Doug Matheson
Manotick ON
I've found the kts with skins get past the kit or fruit forward taste faster. The grenache cab kit I opened a bottle this past weekend and was impressed with it at this young age.

I feel it will compare very well at a year with commercial wines.

I've mostly used WE this far and want to try another brand but it is not because WE isn't good I'm very pleased with them.

Back