Other Recommend kit for dry riesling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallenhall

Junior
Reaction score
My wife and I both enjoy dry rieslings, but my two attempts resulted in something I don't care to repeat. The first was a WineXpert Reserve California Riesling which we drank but didn't really care for and the latest was a Finer Wine Tavola Riesling that is just basically bad. My wife took one sip and said "This is really odd." Heavy, sharp flavor and musty aroma. Both kits were essentially made as per directions with no additional ingredients. Tried adding a bit of conditioner to the FW but it didn't seem to help. Anyway, I'd like to hear from those who have had success the DR style and recommendations of kits that worked well for you. Many thanks.

I've had better luck with Riesling juice buckets. I use Allegra yeast and try to ferment at a cool temperature (60-70F) for a longer time. You may need to back sweeten even if you prefer "dry" wines because the excess acid distracts from the fruit flavors.

The kit is most likely designed to be back-sweetened w the package that came w it, so it may not taste like the varietal without it.

Juice buckets are the way to go. I like R2 yeast for dry reisling.

A ready to go option is mondiale fresco reisling from New York state. Very good dry in my opinion.
https://mostimondiale.com/products/varietal/riesling/riesling-3/

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. I began sampling with conditioner and found that I had to add around 16ml of conditioner per bottle (or essentially the whole 500ml pack of conditioner per 6 gal.) in order to smooth out the flavor and acidity. Even then I'd label the wine as semi-dry. Something in the kit description led me to believe that sweetening was an option, but conditioner seems to be more required than optional.

I began sampling with conditioner and found that I had to add around 16ml of conditioner per bottle (or essentially the whole 500ml pack of conditioner per 6 gal.) in order to smooth out the flavor and acidity. Even then I'd label the wine as semi-dry. Something in the kit description led me to believe that sweetening was an option, but conditioner seems to be more required than optional.
Technically, the wine may be sweet, but due to high acid balancing the sugar (or in reality, the other way 'round), the wine doesn't taste it. I have a commercial Vignoles that is labeled sweet but doesn't taste it.

This is not a surprise with Rieslings, that can be high acid.

I just ordered the FWK Riesling kit with wine conditioner to add a bit of sweetness. Sounds like I'll be using the whole conditioning bottle, as the 20 somethings involved may like it better. I'll be following the directions pretty close, unless someone has a tweak that sounds nice. I will be comparing this to a Winexpert Moscato, which is in the 'clearing' stage now (4 weeks post pitch and per directions except added golden raisins-15oz). I know, the two wines are different, but I'm not a huge white wine drinker and come September, a taste test will be in order between the two (this will be interesting to me). I'll be sampling but will likely be drinking the Bordeaux FWK I started last year, which should be coming along nicely by then. That said, I'll be sandwiched in between the Scottish Whisky lover and the Kentucky Bourbon lover in my family.

Should be an interesting wedding weekend, n'est-ce pas?

My wife and I both enjoy dry rieslings, but my two attempts resulted in something I don't care to repeat. The first was a WineXpert Reserve California Riesling which we drank but didn't really care for and the latest was a Finer Wine Tavola Riesling that is just basically bad. My wife took one sip and said "This is really odd." Heavy, sharp flavor and musty aroma. Both kits were essentially made as per directions with no additional ingredients. Tried adding a bit of conditioner to the FW but it didn't seem to help. Anyway, I'd like to hear from those who have had success the DR style and recommendations of kits that worked well for you. Many thanks.
RJS Cru International German-style Riesling is my recommendation for a dry Riesling. I myself prefer halb trocken, and I'm pretty happy with the WineXperts Washington Riesling, although I liked the old process better than the new "improved" version. I didn't care much for the FWK Riesling, although it's better when it's been sitting out for a while. But my friends who like dry Riesling love the RJS Cru. I back sweetened half of it and I like it that way, but I prefer the WineXperts with the German-style sweetening with juice rather than sugar. But just per the instructions I thought the RJS Cru was good, and as I say, my dry-Riesling-drinking friends LOVE it.

RJS Cru International German-style Riesling is my recommendation for a dry Riesling. I myself prefer halb trocken, and I'm pretty happy with the WineXperts Washington Riesling, although I liked the old process better than the new "improved" version. I didn't care much for the FWK Riesling, although it's better when it's been sitting out for a while. But my friends who like dry Riesling love the RJS Cru. I back sweetened half of it and I like it that way, but I prefer the WineXperts with the German-style sweetening with juice rather than sugar. But just per the instructions I thought the RJS Cru was good, and as I say, my dry-Riesling-drinking friends LOVE it.
To revisit my comment about the FWK Riesling, I made it last year, didn't like it much, and put it aside (I don't usually age my Rieslings very long). So now it's been in the bottle a year and I tried it and I quite like it. In fact, I just purchased another kit (on sale) and I think I'm going to back sweeten half with wine conditioner and the other half with grape juice concentrate and see how that works.

Latest posts

Back