WineXpert Recommend a White Wine for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as the title says. We have made the Vinters Reserve Valpolicella, I have the Selection Original Chianti going right now and it is ready to transfer to another carboy for additional aging in about a week. We are planning on making an Island Mist series so we have something immediately ready to drink (increasing alcohol as recommended in several threads). I would like to start a white wine after that.

Next question, I realize the Reserve and World Vinyard kits only have abt 2.6 gallons of concentrate and it has been said they are thin feeling. How would one of those work out if it were made into a 5 gallon kit vs a 6 gallon kit? Not saying I'm limiting myself to those kits.

I guess thats a couple questions.

In my opinion the lower end kits you speak of make an decent white wine but a very this red wine. I have never done the cheaper version of these kits down to a 5 gallon batch as Id rather just spend a little more $ and get a good kit and not take such a chance. We need to know what kind of white wine you are looking for as in a dry white or a sweet white. The Mosti All juice makes a great Dry Riesling or if you wanted it sweeter you could sweeten with a simple syrup consisting of 1 part boiling water and 2 parts sugar dissolved in that boiling water or you could just get a bottle of wine conditioner.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=MMS19

In my opinion the lower end kits you speak of make an decent white wine but a very this red wine. I have never done the cheaper version of these kits down to a 5 gallon batch as Id rather just spend a little more $ and get a good kit and not take such a chance. We need to know what kind of white wine you are looking for as in a dry white or a sweet white. The Mosti All juice makes a great Dry Riesling or if you wanted it sweeter you could sweeten with a simple syrup consisting of 1 part boiling water and 2 parts sugar dissolved in that boiling water or you could just get a bottle of wine conditioner.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=MMS19

I was conisdering the Viognier. Never had it though. We use to dring alot of White Zinfindel but my wife recently moved more towards the Reds. You can see what we have made so far above in the way of the reds.

I was conisdering the Viognier. Never had it though.
I definitely wouldn't make a white wine that you have never tasted before. You are gonna end up with about 30 bottles of it. If you've never had Viognier or a different type, I would try to find a bottle at the store to try that style of wine. Just as Wade suggested, think about what you want: sweet, dry, off dry, oak?? WinExpert has a chart to help guide flavors.
I have a friend who is currently making the Pinot Grigio VR and it is tasting quite nice surprisingly through all the stages. It should be ready to bottle next week. I have heard from several people the the lower end kits for white wines taste as good as the expensive kits, but I have not tried a finished white kit yet.
As far as the Island Mist goes, my personal favorites are the Blueberry Pinot and the Green Apple Riesling.

I'd make a Riesling. Because it goes really well with Thai food.

Instead of withholding water to try and hit five gallons, just make the kit as usual, and don't top up where is says. You'll come out with less than six gallons, and a wine that has nice body and not "thin".

I also had very good luck with the Gewürztraminer from Winexpert.

I also hear that the Mango Citrus Island Breeze pairs really well with vodka and club soda over ice!

Doug i would suggest that if you used to drink alot of Zinfindel that might be a good place to start .What I would do is ask your dealer what one he/she would suggest for you .Also someone posted this site last week that like just because you can see what Commercial Equivalent there for the wine so you can give that atry to see if you like it .
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/white-zinfandel-selection-original.html

I can give a thumbs up to the wine expert Australian Chardonnay. I don't like many whites, and usually no Chardonnay's but this Australian one was fruity and not too oaked, and seemed more balanced for my tastes.
I made it for my mother in law, a die hard chard. drinker and she likes it a lot too.

Best thiong to do is BUY a fewe white wines. MAKE what you like
The Riesling and Viognier are both good whites

I definitely wouldn't make a white wine that you have never tasted before. You are gonna end up with about 30 bottles of it. If you've never had Viognier or a different type, I would try to find a bottle at the store to try that style of wine. Just as Wade suggested, think about what you want: sweet, dry, off dry, oak?? WinExpert has a chart to help guide flavors.
I have a friend who is currently making the Pinot Grigio VR and it is tasting quite nice surprisingly through all the stages. It should be ready to bottle next week. I have heard from several people the the lower end kits for white wines taste as good as the expensive kits, but I have not tried a finished white kit yet.
As far as the Island Mist goes, my personal favorites are the Blueberry Pinot and the Green Apple Riesling.

New here, but I would have to agree wtih the original statement here. Make sure you like something before you make 30 bottles of it.

As for the World Vinyard kit (Pinot Grigio) for my mom and it tasted great. Now I'm not a big white drinker, so I don't know how it compares commercially. What I do know is this will likely be my next kit for myself, if I ever get the next one started.

RJS South African Chenin Blanc is great! Dry, fruity, perception of sweetness. I've made three :D

New here, but I would have to agree wtih the original statement here. Make sure you like something before you make 30 bottles of it.

As for the World Vinyard kit (Pinot Grigio) for my mom and it tasted great. Now I'm not a big white drinker, so I don't know how it compares commercially. What I do know is this will likely be my next kit for myself, if I ever get the next one started.

This was my first kit and it was tasty a few months after bottling and now a year later we are still amazed by how smooth this wine is. It will be a staple in my cellar.

Latest posts

Back