Recomendation: Best Book I have found

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I have puchased over five different winemaking books. I have enjoyed each one for its own special reason. What I really found I was looking for was a book with informatoin. I didn't really want one with recipes becuase there are soooo many online. So evertime I buy a book with over half dedicated to recipes.

So recently I found a book that has almost EVERYTHING I wanted. Information, and in an easy to understand format. The only reason I suggest this book here is becuase I have goon through bookstores, Amazon.com, and other places trying to find a book. I even read a plethora of reviews on amazon and bought a book form suggestions there. Unfortunately, it read like a science text (way above my head).

So lately, someon recomended, "Techniques in Home Winemaking"

I would highly suggest this book. Though, don't buy it expecing recipes. But if you want information on bottling, fermenting, racking, to sanitation, to sparkling, disgorgement, ML fermentation, barrels.

I really like it because it's not a front to back read, but I can look up a short couple of paragraphs to explain something that I'm dealing with at the time.

Even though can probably find all the same information in this forum, sometimes its a little easier and convenient to have in a book.

It is my favorite home wine making book. When I have a question I can't answer I go there first. It is well written and very easy to use as a reference guide.

Thanks for the info! I have purchases a couple of wine making books, and yes, they can become like reading Greek.

I have the revised one. I'm not sure how much more info it has. but I do love it still. My friend asked to borrow it and I had to tell him.... no.
smiley24.gif

rshosted said:
I have the revised one. I'm not sure how much more info it has. but I do love it still. My friend asked to borrow it and I had to tell him.... no.
smiley24.gif
I also have the revised one. I bought it used from amazon for 1/30the retail.
It just so happens that i am re-reading it for the third time. I have about 12 wine books in my library rhat i read in rotation. Each time i pick up something new.
You are correct it is one of the best. Terry garey little book is great also. I struggle through brewchem 101 but i wont quit till i get it together.
smiley19.gif

JWMINNESOTA said:
Do they have pictures? Man, I gotta read?!
The terry Garey book is loaded with pictures and is a bit more basic but i find it to be very much on target.

The other book has very fer pictures and is good fr folks like myself who are fairly recent entries into the hobby. I say that because after reading many simpler books, it goes a bit more into detail on most subjects.
The brew chem book????? well it's not really of much value to me but when one only buys used books at bargain from amazon, i don't really get annoyed when I can not extract that much from a reading.. Time and exposure will eventually rectify that
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back