Recipe questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Junior
Reaction score
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

1. what is the meaning of "stabilize"?
2.will I need to degas this before bottling?

Stabilizing means adding the appropriate amounts of sorbate and sulphite to make sure no fermentation will start again.

I think any wine that is made so fast will have a lot of CO2 dissolved in it and needs to be degassed.

Luc

Stabilizing means adding the appropriate amounts of sorbate and sulphite to make sure no fermentation will start again.

how much sorbate and sulphite would I use I have metabisulphate will thhis work? if so how much should I use

also thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Sorbate is added at 1/2tsp per gallon of wine. For small quantities of wine such as a gallon K-meta is more easily added as 1 crushed and dissolved camden tablet/gal. If you've got K-meta powder (1/4tsp/5gals) then a gram scale will be necessary to calculate the appropriate amount, you'll just have to do the math.

it is 1 gallon so just use 1 camden tablet crushed then mixed into a bit of the fermenting wine will be all I need?

1 tablet per gallon is what you will need. I don't see a need for potassium sorbate if you ferment to dry and don't sweeten later.

Latest posts

Back