Recipe needed for 60 pounds of concord grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6carboys

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year the backyards in my area are loaded with grapes that are going unused. I'm searching for a recipe for 60 lb lots.

My confusion is when a recipe calls for 5 lbs of grapes and 1 gal of water. I want to use 10 lbs instead with same amount of water. Do I double the ingredients including yeast? How do I calculate a 60 lbs batch with the following recipe?

I use the 1970 edition "The Art of Making Wine" authors Stanley F. Anderson with Raymond Hull.

Grapes 5 lbs
Water. 1gal
Acid blend none
Campden tablet 1
Yeast nutrient 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2 1/2 lbs
Raisins none
Pectin enzyme 1/2 tsb
Grape tannin none
Wine yeast 1 pkg.

Thank you

6carboys

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would add water to wine from grapes before even checking numbers.

A 5 gram yest packet will ferment 5 gallons of juice. in your case 12 lbs of grapes are equal to one gallon. for 60 lbs one packet of yeast will work great.
all your other ingredients should be multiplied by 6 for a 60 lbs batch.
I would think that water is added to reduce the acidity of the grape. in the case of concord acidity may not be in question. measurements should be made to verify acidity and sugar content. however without measurements I would not use the water. ferment the 60lbs on the skins. wait until wine clear and then possible do additive like acid and sugar syrup to bring wine into balance. in the meantime I would suggest purchasing a hydrometer and acid test kit and a ph meter for next years harvest.

Concord grape wine

I agree 100% with carcoco. Wine from grapes should not need water. But... has anyone made Concord grape wine that was worth drinking? I have not and won't waste my time anymore. Maybe could make a blend with it but don't have any wine I would waste blending with it. Free grapes are tempting but it is more rewarding to make a wine to be proud of. Everyone's tastes are different so someone please tell me why I am wrong.

with 60 lb. of grapes you can make 30 gallon of grape drop wine.It takes 2 lb. of picked off grapes to a gallon.You drop the whole grapes in jug ,desolve 2.5 lb of sugar per gallon in luke warm water and pour it in jug and desolve 1 pack of yeast in luke warm water and add it to the jug and don't add anything else in it and you will have good wine.I been making wine this way for 30 years and always turned out excellent,even won gold metals in wine contests.Now you wont get 30 gallon of wine out of it because the grapes take up space in the jug,you might get 24 gallon of wine out of it.

Latest posts

Back