Recipe and Equipment Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwilliams1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie and am embarking on my first batch. I think I am going to do my first batch with the Vintners Harvest Black Currant. According to this site, they have recipes on the back. However, I have seen comments indicating that the recipe calls for way too much sugar. Is this the case or should the recipe on the back of the can fine to use? Also, the kit I purchased came with a 2.5 gallon fermenting bucket and 1 gallon carboy. Is there a way to adjust this recipe so I can use the kit I purchased even those it is half a gallon smaller? (I know I will need to purchase more carboys.) Any words of wisdom?

Thank you,
Morgan

Hi Morgan

I've never used Vintners Harvest, but I've read lots of posts of folks who have. You control how much sugar you put in until you reach the desired beginning specific gravity that if fermented to dry will produce the alcohol percentage you desire in your final product. That sounds complicated, but it really isn't. You can find that info by looking at your hydrometer.

What I remember folks being unhappy about was the thin wine they got when following the recipe as written. Most folks cut back the amount of water they added in order to add body to their resulting wine.

Like I said, never used this product, but I've found black currant flavoring extracts really make my darker fruit wines special. I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly to get more specific for you.

Welcome to WMT

Pam in cnti

Check with your nearest Lowe's store - they should have an inexpensive 5 gallon bucket - just make sure you get the one labeled "Food Grade" That should work just fine and I would not go above 3 gallons for the batch. As for sugar - make a simple Syrup and keep adding it until you reach the desired SG you want to start at. I actually used that same Black Currant and went for a dessert wine with a starting SG of 1.132. The fermentation completely stopped at an SG of 1.005 so I still had a VERY nice Dessert wine (16.47& ABV) with no need to back-sweeten it. It's one of my favorites so far.

It's your fault now... After reading about the VH Black Currant and thinking about my experience.... I've just ordered another can to start another 3 gallon batch. AND I will probably go for a repeat with the Dessert Wine goal. Black Currant makes a great dessert wine. The tartness offsets the sweetness and the sweetness covers the higher ABV. Makes those bottle of wine go further because folks feel that half-glass of wine pretty quickly. :d

Latest posts

Back