Really old wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnyboy

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not really a wine maker myself, but I have a question that google couldn't answer, and I thought maybe someone here could. My wife and I live with her 95 year old grandmother. Her birthday is tomorrow, and she suggested we pull out her last bottle of homemade wine to celebrate. My inlaws, however, suggested that we wait for her 100th birthday (hope she makes it!) but...this is a bottle of rhubarb wine she made in 1980, and the bottle is not corked, its just sealed with a sort of metal screw top. I'm just wondering if this stuff is gonna last that long, because I know wine turns to vinigar eventually (if it hasn't already). Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks much :)

-Donny

Wine doesnt just turn to vinegar unless it is subjected to a bacteria called acetobacter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetobacter

As far as this wine being any good still, its probably not as good as it was a year after it was made or maybe 2 or 3 due to lower tannins in fruit wines such as this compared to a big Red wine like a Bordeaux but it can still be good depending on how good a seal that screw cap made and what conditions it was cellared at. If its been stting in a cold cellar that stays pretty consistant with little vibrations and little natural or flourescent light then that will decrease the chance of this wine going bad. Another factor is if this wine was properly sulfited and if the PH and acidty was adjusted properly. At this point another 5 years wont make that much of a difference so you might as well wait now! It could be a decent wine or be way past its time. Good luck and hp your grandma makes it too 100!:hb

This is just my opinion - don't listen to the inlaws, if your grandmother wants to drink it, drink it. If it's bad, so what! She's 95, and that's a pretty grand accomplishment on her part, so do what she wants! I hope she makes it to 100 as well, and then let her decide what to do then as well!

Let her have what she wants!

This is just my opinion - don't listen to the inlaws, if your grandmother wants to drink it, drink it. If it's bad, so what! She's 95, and that's a pretty grand accomplishment on her part, so do what she wants! I hope she makes it to 100 as well, and then let her decide what to do then as well!

I agree with deboard. If I ever get that old, and have a request, I hope my kids will honor it. She lived long! Let her enjoy her wine before she can't even remember what she made.

JD's mom is 96, and she is so fiesty! She does crosswords, cheers for the Chargers and the Bears (story there), and she plays bridge twice a week with her girlfriends. She doesn't tell them how old she is because she doesnt want them to treat her like an old lady!

I'm on the side of the grandma! Give her her wine!

Suzi

Grandma wants it, then Grandma GETS IT ! :br
Just MHO

Have grandma help you make the next batch of wine, then drink that on her 100th.

great idea Rock! Make a large batch, and drink one with her every year, and if she runs out, make some more!

My inlaws, however, suggested that we wait for her 100th birthday
-Donny

I always wonder how other people dare to suggest what YOU can do with YOUR OWN goods.............

My mother in law is 87 and I would not dare to suggest whatever to her !!! It is her life.

I do however suggest you get her a computer and an internet connection and make her a member of this forum. I would love to hear from her experiences, methods etc etc etc etc........

Luc

Happy Birthday to Grandma give her what she wants , even if you do it without the in-laws around .She probably planned along time ago to have it on her 95th if she made it that far .I love the idea of making some with her then having some every year .

Latest posts

Back