Really new!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperDave1969 said:
Spoke to George this morning . . . they just sealed my loyalty with that little maneuver right there!
smiley32.gif

You aint seen nuttin yet.

So after 2 days getting the same SG, time to rack again. I went from carboy to bucket, and then bucket back to a cleaned and sanitized carboy. Now for degassing. I used the mix-stir from my kit. I wasn't sure if it needed to be kept at the bottom of the carboy or not. Moving it up and down gave me quite a bit of foam. I've let it rest for about 30-45 mins. or so before doing it again. It's still foaming quite a bit. Am I drawing in too much air? and if so have I ruined the batch?

253246_2250243413378_1167024492_32671167_6244666_n.jpg

Thanks for the Help!

Thanks to Andy123 and Wade for their quick and helpful pms. I'll keep further questions public from now on. I just didn't want to continue with a flawed technique.
Now, next question. My big bro just bought me a mini jet off of ebay. at what stage should I attempt this process? I'm currently waiting for my wine to clear. I still have to add the metallic bag of liquid (Flavor essence?) in. So before or after? And, since I have no similar wine, (MM Summer Breeze Rasberry Merlot) should I use water (hopefully not blasphemous!)? And if so when?
I'm sorry for all the stupid questions, but I guess being the son of an engineer, I tend to try to make things overly complicated.
smiley23.gif

Thanks again!

Ok. Isuppose a #2 filter would be ok then? Or might I want to try the course pads first? BTW, I can't seem to find filter pads on the site. I know he's gotta have 'em, but i must be overlooking them.

Just make sure your wine is clear before filtering. Filtering is "polishing" your wine to make it shine. If your wine is not clear or has sediment in the bottom that you stir up, it will clog your filter in nothing flat. Make sure your wine is absolutely clear and has no sediment in the bottom before you start the process.

Thanks mike. So let me ask you, if it is still a little cloudy after say about 14 days, would adding another fining agent like Super-Kleer be ok? Or would it ruin the batch somehow. Just want to be prepared. I think you can never know too much about thiis process. (i.e. there are no stupid questions. . .)

Its a last resort but it will not hurt. I had a batch of Viognier that absolutely wouldn't clear. I gave it a full month then hit it again with a 2nd round of Super Kleer and that did the trick.

Make sure your wine is FULLY degassed first and foremost and is at least 72 degrees or more. If your your wine is not fully degassed and warm it will not clear properly.

George told me that after the initial 3 week or so clearing if the wine wasn't clear to hit it with another dose of Superclear or whatever clearing agents you want. It gives you another shot at degassing also. I had to do this with both Mosti Megoili kits I did this spring. Both are clear now. Since then I keep extra Superclear, yeast, energizer so I don't have to order something and wait when I need it.

Thanks to you all. I feel like a child trying to run before he can even stand with all these questions. But It's my first time at this and I want it to be a good wine. Then maybe I can talk myself into buying a second kit. I probably should anyway. After all, all this money for equipment for just one batch? Not cheap.

In for a penny in for a pound they say!
smiley4.gif

I keep an extra pack of Super Kleer in my tool box just in case.

Looking pretty clear already but I'll wait until this weekend anyway. (I'm still a novice in terms of the 3 P's) This is when I have to add the "F-pack" or Fruit Essence (foil bag). Back in phase 2, just before adding the clarifying agents, I added the metabisulfite. George's video advised adding a 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfiteprior to bottling. Do I still need to add the 1/4 teaspoon?I know it's probably been asked before, but I didn't see the answer.

No more sulfite is needed unless you were to bulk age for 3-4 months longer. Then you would add a small top up dose before bottling.

Thanks Mike I truly appreciate all of you who are helping me make it through this. I'm really looking foward to tasting this. (Doh! Patience...)
smiley36.gif

smiley31.gif
I just wanted to say how grateful I am to all of the members here who helped me in my new hobby (addiction). It is really quite a fun expierence. I know it was only a "wine cooler" style, but I think thats what I needed for a 1st time, quick results. It really does taste good and now I'mworried if I can keep enough around for Christmas gifts.
smiley36.gif

I just bought the Renaissance Australian Chardonnay. I'm hoping this one goes at least as smoothly as the first one. Maybe the agony of waiting 6 months will pay off with a truly fine wine.
Thanks again and may God bless you all!
David

SuperDave1969 said:
I just bought the Renaissance Australian Chardonnay. I'm hoping this one goes at least as smoothly as the first one. Maybe the agony of waiting 6 months will pay off with a truly fine wine.
David

Well said David, these guys and gals are great. Also I hope you post along the way on the MMR Ausie Chard, I am thinking of doing that this fall for my daughter. Keep us posted.

Dave, I am smiling reading all your threads. I was in that panicky, excited mode when I made my first kit. I asked so many questions I thought they would ban me from this forum!! haha

Glad to hear your merlot turned out.
smiley32.gif
Way to go!!

I have made the chard kit you ordered. It is a wonderful wine!! I would suggest not opening a bottle for at least a year. It is that 3 P's that will get you a wonderful tasting wine.
smiley4.gif

Keep asking the questions and enjoy the process!!

Kathie

Back