Really dumb questions, sorry.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineaddict

Junior
Reaction score
OK, I just checked my (peach wine) must after 5 days after adding sugar. My hydrometer now reads 1.010, great now it's time for squeezing the pulp bag and my first transfer. Now there is a peach colored foamy looking like stuff on top (but it's not foam). Was I suppose to strain this, so that it didn't get into the carboy, or is this yeast that needs to be in the carboy? Is this what eventually will become sentiment at the bottom of the carboy? I guess my biggest question was I suppose to leave it out of the carboy? Second dumb question, The airlock did not come with instructions. The white cap on top needs to be kept off so that the gasses can escape right? Sorry for dumb questions, my searching try didn't reveal my answer.

I would leave the foamy stuff behind. Rack the wine to the carboy without foam. There will be plenty of yeast still in suspension in the liquid.

The white cap should go on the airlock. If you look closely, there are tiny holes in the cap which allows the gas to escape (some models don't have holes, but they have a loose fitting lid that allows gas to escape around the lid). The cap keeps the "cup" from floating up too high. You want the "cup" to stay in the solution a ways and force the air to bubble around the cup and up through the liquid. The cap helps keep flying critters from invading your liquid.

ok not sure on everything but one thing I do know is if you'll look close at the white cap on the airlock you'll see little holes in it this is to let the gases escape. I know there is more than one kind, I know of one that is straight and the other like this
air-lock.jpg

I use both but this I kinda prefer I'll take the cap off and put a bit of cotton (loose) under it to keep anythnig from going down, I've had those little fruit flies get in through those little holes so thats why I do that. Also there is normally a line that says max on the bulb parts thats where you fill water too at least on one side. I hope you get the drift of what I'm saying. you can always wait abit and I'm sure the others will tell you lots more

Your right, Thank you. There are some really small holes and I just placed the cap on with no problems. There is now a lot of visible action in the must after 2 hours since the transfer. I now have some real foam on top, and in the middle of the carboy it's realing turning. Thanks again.

Looking good

How big a batch and what size carboy did you rack to?

Thank you everyone for your responce. Tom this is my "Peach Wine Recipe 1st attempt" in the recipe blogs. It's a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. I'm about ready to start my nectarine batch but instead of 15#'s of fruit I will use 30#'s. When making this from the beginning, like the 2nd or 3rd day, it started making this peach colored foamy looking like stuff at the top, almost an inch think. It's not foam like I have now with air bubbles, it's a hard looking peach colored particles when together looks like foam. Right now with all the turbulance inside the must these particles are blowing all over inside, some settling at the top and some on the bottom. Is this sediment? or yeast? or ???. I would assume on my next rack in about 2 weeks, I'll screen this stuff out?

that would be peach pulp.
mine exploded last night. :(
transferred to soon, obviously.

Last edited:
That was going to be my first guess (peach pulp). When you say exploded, do you mean overflowed out the top from so much turbulance? This forum is great, Thanks for your reply

Yes, the pulp was raised to the top by the fermentation (?) and just kept "growing" out the top of the jug.

My kids thought it was cool. :(
But they helped clean up. :h

My son keeps mentioning science projects when he helps out. i should say when he gets there before his little sister. She is Johnny on the spot about the wine making. He is 12 and she will be 10 in a week.
They both love spending time with good ol' dad... oh, who am i kidding, they like the wine making. :)

i told him that if he tried to do a fermentation science project, he would probably get suspended and i would probably go to jail.

LOL, it's sad but your probably real close to being right, and this is what it has come down to at our schools, sad.

Latest posts

Back