Ready to Bottlle 2 gal batch of Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bob

Conflicting advice from the internet on proceedure for sweetening wine before bottling. I have stabilized 2 gallons of strawberry, 1/2 oz sorbate per gallon and 1 campden tablet per gallon. Has been sitting in secondary for one week now.. no sign of fermentation. Would like to sweeten the wine to a medium sweet. Info I have been able to research tells me to add about 168grams per gallon.. but researching further I am getting different info. Also purchased a Vinebrite gravity flow filter. Do I filter before adding the sugar? The wine is very clear..maybe not necessary to filter? Would appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

How much to sweeten a wine is personal preference. I use wine conditioner to sweeten rather than sugar, so it is difficult for me to give a suggested starting point.

Many people do not filter their wines. If yours looks very clear, then don't bother. Personally, I would filter after sweeyening, especially if using sugar.

Steve

Thanks C. I guess I am one of the odd fellows here. I dont drink but so far I enjoy making the wine as a retirement hobby. The wine I am making will be gifts. Was thinking that strawberry should be a little sweet rather than a dry wine. Was hoping to find a standard. Wines fermenting now in order are Strawberry, Beet, Blueberry, Peach, Concord Grape, and finally Jalapeno/Habanero/Raisin. Just found this web site a couple days ago and find it quite interesting and informative. Also grandaughter (3 years old) is having fun painting the wine bottles. Kudos to whoever started the site.

Was thinking that strawberry should be a little sweet rather than a dry wine. Was hoping to find a standard.

Strawberry wines are good either way. Sweet or dry.
I prefer mine sweet. There is (luckily) no standard.
Homewinemaking is about making wines they way you like them.
Otherwise we would go out and buy some bottles. :p

Wines fermenting now in order are Strawberry, Beet, Blueberry, Peach, Concord Grape, and finally Jalapeno/Habanero/Raisin.

Two or three years ago I made beet wine from red beets.
It still tastes like eating mud.
Beet wine has to age a very long time before becoming
drinkable. So if you taste it, do not toss it but let it age
for years and years.......

Luc

Thanks Luc.

I do need to aquire a taste for wine so i will have an idea if I am making halfway decent batches or use it for canning. Will have to go to some Wine Tastings in the area.

Have a great day

image test

inserting images into body

OK, I am a computer dummy... tried to add picture into the body... clicked on the icon and entered the URL but a no go. Any assistance would be appreciated.. thanks

Thank you all and especially the questioner. I am about to start my first batch of strawberry and was confused by instructions in the recipe to add Sparkolloid, grapejuice concentrate and sweetener. I don't like terribly sweet wines, was hoping for a semi-sweet, and I definitely did not want sparkling as this recipe was starting to sound.

Latest posts

Back