Re-using malolactic bacteria in package

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_S

Reaction score
Wondering how long a package of malolactic bacteria will keep once it is opened and stored in a zip loc bag in a freezer? I think I've seen on the web somewhere that it could maybe keep for a few months, but not sure how accurate this is. Scott Labs has told me it would be better to buy some fresh bacteria after it is opened as little as a few weeks. Perhaps this could be for more business, but the stuff can get expensive especially if you need just a little bit at a time for each batch of wine.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I don't know the answer to your question. However, it does seem ironic that we work so hard in wine making to kill off bacteria by sanitizing our wine making equipment and then have to work hard at growing the good MLF bacteria we want.

I've kept a sealed package from one vintage to the next, overbought, and it was fine. You don't have anything to lose. Toss it in. If Malo doesn't start, you can buy more. If it does then Bob's your uncle.

Glad to know it will keep for a while. I have several batches and frozen musts fermenting at different times over a couple of months so its a plus if I can get some mileage out of one or two packages over that period of time. I prefer to co-inoculate, but if does not work by the end of the AF, I can always add more at the end.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Back