Re-using bottles and Removing the labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.
Lots of good ideas for removing labels.
I've been collecting between 20 and 30 bottles per week from a local restaurant since September. And after spending way too much time bent over the kitchen sink cleaning and scraping EVERY bottle, I had the brilliant thought that there might actually be bottles that will never see a drop of fresh wine, so why spend time removing all the labels?
From that point on, I only wash/rinse out the bottle and remove the foil (or plastic) cork covers and I store /organize them with the labels on.

When I get to the point that I am ready to use bottles of a particular size, color and shape, I will strip those labels at that time.

My method until now has been soaking them in very warm water in the sink.
And it never ceases to amaze me that two identical bottles with two identical labels, may not clean the same. One label may slide right off and another not!

I like the bucket idea as it would definitely keep bits of scraped label parts from entering an otherwise clean bottle.

And I am eager to try the dry-scraping method.

One thing that works for stubborn glue is WD-40!
If you spray a small amount on the glue residue, you can usually rub it off with a paper towel with little effort.
I am quite particular so the WD-40 never sees the inside of the bottle.
Then, a quick warm soapy bath cleans off the WD-40 from the bottle exterior.

WD-40 is just fish oil, so it's not toxic or anything, so no worries. Makes for great fish bait enhancer.

I've used it quite a bit but never thought it was fish oil. But then too I really never gave it a thought. :D

Here's what it says on Wikipedia:

Formulation
WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular, but incorrect, urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3] The WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product [4]

:b
Larry

Last edited:
I do the same soaking in hot water, and the glue gets sticky. Would it be better warm or even cold water? glad to hear the oil trick though. I will have to try that to remove the difficult ones or the last glue residue.

I stick my labels on top of the previous label, when the bottles get too big to go in my wine racks I may think of removing the labels.
texteditor.

Robie, you have peaked my intrest here. Could you swing a pic or two our way?
Thanks Brad

Some of those must be pretty big abels unless you are not covering all of their label.

I know I'm a few months late to this post, but anyone ever hear of "Goo-Gone"? Nice orangy smell too!

Oh.......crap.

We gave a bottle away as a gift that was corked in screwtop. :slp

don't worry...I've been corking them for years ans never had an incident....I think they only break if you are wearing 2 different socks and there's a cloud in the shape on a cat in the sky when you open the bottle :)

I'm not saying it can't happen...i'm saying it won't happen every time.

I know I'm a few months late to this post, but anyone ever hear of "Goo-Gone"? Nice orangy smell too!
I tried it but it didn't work as good as I expected...I was using the automotive version...might not be as strong??

I find that Mr clean's magic eraser works great once you've scrapped off the bigger stuff...when all else fails...stick the new label over what remains of the old one :p

Latest posts

Back