RE: The loss of Jack Keller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
@TxBrew

IMO, Jack Keller's web pages are at least an important history and information trove for our hobby. Is there anyway that we can help to permanently archive this information?

Last edited by a moderator:
@TxBrew

IMO, Jack Keller's web pages are at least an important history and information trove for our hobby. Is there anyway that we can help to permanently archive this information?

In what manner are you thinking? We only have control of information on this forum.

In what manner are you thinking? We only have control of information on this forum.

I really don't know. Does his estate, and ultimately his heirs, own the web pages? Many of his pages are recently hard to find; and they're archived. The latest site is winemaking: winemaking recipes When I search for Jack Keller, that site does not appear.

Would a site like Wine Making Talk be an appropriate place to archive these pages? Would costs be incurred?

I looked for the sites and came across this that said he had plans for his recipes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/the-jack-keller-collection-archived.296443/page-2#post-6782414
I wish to say a few things about the originator of this thread (nukinfuts29) and the files he made available for distribution. Both he and his server went inactive in September 2012 and I have not been able to contact him.

Nukinfuts29 claimed he attempted to contact me several times by email and received no reply. This would only have been true had he continued using my pre-March 30,2010 email address after that date. The email address used immediately after that was posted on my blog and primary site the next day and has been there ever since. Furthermore, I read every email received that is not obvious spam and received only one email asking permission to do what nukinfuts29 claims he requested and I declined permission.

Despite his claims to the contrary, he did violate United States Copyright Law by distributing this file without my permission. Copyright laws are specific and have been amended to apply to information posted on the internet. This has been repeatedly upheld by court rulings.

There is such a thing as Fair Use Doctrine, established in law and periodically amended by Congress to deal with emerging technologies. The Fair Use Act allows us to publish quotes, tables, recipes, certain images, and limited amounts of text for non-commercial reference, educational or illustrative purposes as long as the material is attributed to the originator and source (book, movie, URL, etc.). You can, for example, post on this forum material from any source as long as you attribute it and cite the source.

To be clear, I would not have granted nukinfuts29 permission to copy and distribute my website’s content. While it is flattering that he would want to preserve it, it is automatically archived and I have made provisions in my will for its continued disposition.

Since I didn’t really know what nukinfuts29 distributed, I attempted to obtain a copy from forum members who seemed to indicate they had downloaded the file. I requested that they contact me by PM. Two did and one supplied me the material. I thank him profusely.

Finally, I want to assure you that if you downloaded the material you do not need to delete it. I hereby authorize you to maintain it for your personal use indefinitely as long as you do not further distribute it in whole or part and do not attempt to monetize it. My complete copyright notice is located here and continues to apply in full to that material.

Any thing on the net worth preserving will persist. Many here thought most/all? of his recipes were a little light on the fruit. Don't get all hot and bothered about the contributors name. Not like all of that information sprouted new from his head. I'm not a fan of Skeeter Pee but the original recipe was a good starting point to something I do like. Ever wonder why some like myself don't use our names? If I contribute something back that others find useful that's great. I don't need or care if anyone knows who contributed it.

Latest posts

Back