Re Bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPaczkowski

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled my grape wine last month and now I have a flaky sediment on the bottom of my bottles. The carboys were clean on the bottom when I stated bottling the wine. I didn't add any sugar just stabilizer. I am considering emptying the bottles to get rid of the flaky sediment and adding a little sugar? Am I asking for trouble? If I add sugar do I have to add stabilizer?

I just ran into the same issue....in my case I bottled too soon before the wine had the opportunity to clear. I'm guessing that you didn't let it clear.

In our case it was WAY too much sediment to allow it to stay in the bottle.

We pulled the corks, poured it back into a primary bucket...then racked it to a carboy where they sit now. We're waiting for it to clear.

I don't know why you'd add the sugar though....I see no need.

Grape wine

This is a concord grape that I was trying to make into a white wine. I pressed the grapes before fermentation. The grape is a little harsh and I think a little sweetener may help. The batch may mellow after a couple of month with out the sweetener.

Are you saying you added sorbate or sulfite? If you are adding sugar you will surely need to add some sorbate and sorbate should only be added if there is sufficient sulfite levels. If you didnt dissolve the (stabilizer?) in some water first then this is probably the problem.

I've got sediment in my bergamais. I was debating whether to re bottle or not but it's not a ton sediment.
I think I just didn't give it enough time clearing.
Just ordered the Vinibrite gravity filter.
Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
No I didn't dissolve the sorbate first, so that is probably what it is . The wine was clear when I bottled it. Is their any issues to re-bottling wine?

Latest posts

Back