Re-bottle due to sediment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Junior
Reaction score
I recently bottled a WE Estate Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay. Rookie mistake: when racking to my bottling bucket, I picked up a little sediment, which made it into each bottle. The wine was (and is, but for the sediment) crystal clear. Should I transfer the bottled wine back to the carboy, let it settle, and re-bottle? I'm happy to pick up a wine bottle filter (http://www.fieldstonevineyards.com/catalog/i22.html) instead, but I don't want the sediment to taint the flavor of the wine (which is GREAT, even at bottling). Risk oxidation or risk off-flavor from the lees???

Unless there is a lot of sediment I wouldnt worry, Ive never seen that bottle filter though so thanks for the link.

Just make sure you pour your glass last so if any sediment slips by, you get it instead of your guests. It will not change the taste. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and learn from your mistakes.

Thanks, Wade, and your're welcome (I found that link from searching the Beginner's Forum for "re-bottle"). As I was typing my query, I decided to pick up the filter. Lesson learned.

Next time make sure to keep the racking cane away from the bottom till the last minute.

Next time make sure to keep the racking cane away from the bottom till the last minute.

Yup - now i leave mine up about 1 1/2" - as the wine lowers to it - i gradually push it down.

I have ended up with some sediment in my bottles before - i just poured carefully - and discarded the last little bit.

I agree, never waste a drop. Ill save the last bit under airlock even if its just a 375ml bottle and use that to top up something close later.

I'm not sure what your proceedure is, but if you're bottling directly from a fermentor that has sediment in it, you're more likely to have this problem. I always cleanly rack the finished beverage into a fresh clean carboy and then bottle from there. This way I can focus on getting a clean wine without being distracted by the bottling process.

They invented decanters for just this purpose. A week before you are to drink the wine, store the bottle "straight up" to allow the sediment to settle at the bottom, then "rack" the wine into a decanter, and serve the wine from that.

Latest posts

Back