RC 212 yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
In the vineco instructions in the passport kit, they say to add both packages directly sprinkled over the must...they provided RC212 and EC-1118. This makes absolutely no sense as I imagine the EC-1118 will Kill off the RC 212. At any rate I used just the 212...rehydrated in 36 Degrees C water for 20 minutes....not typical for me but I understand RC 212 is a little more picky. Wine is supposed to be around 14%, am I going to have issues fermenting dry? Ambient room temps are around 20C right now and fermentation is moving along nicely.

In the vineco instructions in the passport kit, they say to add both packages directly sprinkled over the must...they provided RC212 and EC-1118. This makes absolutely no sense as I imagine the EC-1118 will Kill off the RC 212. At any rate I used just the 212...rehydrated in 36 Degrees C water for 20 minutes....not typical for me but I understand RC 212 is a little more picky. Wine is supposed to finish around 14%, am I going to have issues fermenting dry? Ambient room temps are around 20C right now and fermentation is moving along nicely.

Although I haven’t read the current instructions, in the past you inoculate with the RC212 until the gravity reaches 1.050 -1.040, then add the 1118.
Ok so they definately do not mention that, however I was planning on doing something like this to ensure it ferments dry. I imagine I should rehydrate the yeast first as this is more delicate at this stage?

I just googled the Vineco instructions: 1.7 Sprinkle Dry Yeast on top of juice base (if your kit contains two packages of yeast, add both now).

Not sure I would do that but add them separately. But, it’s your wine kit that you paid for. If you’re not experienced in dealing with problems, the forums are here to help.

I wouldn’t add the EC1118. The RC212 should get you to dry no problem. Just my 2c worth.

I just googled the Vineco instructions: 1.7 Sprinkle Dry Yeast on top of juice base (if your kit contains two packages of yeast, add both now).

Not sure I would do that but add them separately. But, it’s your wine kit that you paid for. If you’re not experienced in dealing with problems, the forums are here to help.

I've made alot of kits over two years, however only had one with a slow or stuck fermentation. I ended up adding an additional half package of yeast at SG 1.020 and everything worked fine. Yes I've made mistakes but nothing that caused me to dump anything. I also haven't played with different yeast as Ive heard it doesnt make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t add the EC1118. The RC212 should get you to dry no problem. Just my 2c worth.

What alcohol tolerance does RC 212 have? Also does swapping yeasts like this make any difference?

I think it’s rated for 14% but will likely go even higher. You should google Lalvin’s yeast strain profiles. There is a reference out there that runs down their yeast and what characteristics they bring out.

I think it’s rated for 14% but will likely go even higher. You should google Lalvin’s yeast strain profiles. There is a reference out there that runs down their yeast and what characteristics they bring out.
Yeah I read what the 212 does, it seems like it's what im After. My biggest concern is whether or not I need a yeast nutrient.

Yeah I read what the 212 does, it seems like it's what im After. My biggest concern is whether or not I need a yeast nutrient.

You should not need a nutrient with 212 when you’re doing a kit, the manufacturer should have properly fortified your juice with nutrients. That said, it wouldn’t hurt to have some Fermaid K and O on hand just for some insurance if you start to smell H2S.

Back