Raspberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
@hounddawg @Scooter68
I received the Raspberry Concentrate from Brownwood Acres . It is 65 brix. and average brix for Raspberry is 10.5. I believe I will get a 1:5.5 - 1 qt to 1.75 gal water ratio to get full strength juice. If I want a strong berry flavor. I should not add any additional Water should I? Keep it full strength?

Yes, I would keep it full strength for the most flavor. You'll want to check the pH and TA to be sure they are where you want. You may need to add some calcium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate to get the pH over 3.1 and while lowering the TA.

@hounddawg @Scooter68
I received the Raspberry Concentrate from Brownwood Acres . It is 65 brix. and average brix for Raspberry is 10.5. I believe I will get a 1:5.5 - 1 qt to 1.75 gal water ratio to get full strength juice. If I want a strong berry flavor. I should not add any additional Water should I? Keep it full strength?
I'm planning on adding 1qt, to 1 gallon fluid. except for elderberry 1 qt. concentrate to 1.5 gal fluid, I've dome black raspberry and i'd mix black raspberry same as black elderberry, i have no clue about red raspberry,,, I've yet to make red raspberry,,,
Dawg

Maybe I should do a taste test. 1oz to 4 oz ; 1oz to 5 ; 1 oz to 5.5

if I get the juice the flavor I like, will it carry through to the wine

Typical raspberry is run at 4 pounds per gallon which gets the TA in line. ,,, some examples
Raspberry: red 2018 pH 3.04/ TA 2.26%/ gravity 1.037 . . . 2019 pH 3.19/ TA 2.18%/ gravity 1.035 . . . 2020 pH 3.46/ TA 2.26%/ gravity 1.034
raspberry: black 2018 pH 3.58/ TA 1.49%/ gravity 1.039 . . . 2019 pH 3.48/ TA 1.81%/ gravity 1.036 . . . 2020 pH 3.87/ TA 2.08%/ gravity 1.028

I can see running reconstituted straight juice but you may have to adjust the TA. I like high fruit and will push the TA up to 1 or even 1.25% and back sweeten to 1.015 to balance the finished wine, but then I grow em and i size the batch for which size carboy I am racking into.

I can see running reconstituted straight juice but you may have to adjust the TA. I like high fruit and will push the TA up to 1 or even 1.25% and back sweeten to 1.015 to balance the finished wine, but then I grow em and i size the batch for which size carboy I am racking into.

I do not understand the TA that low. i thought wine should have 5-6 %. The lowest TA I’ve seen has been 3%. The PH was around 3.65. PH would have have to be close to 4 to see TA 1% wouldn’t it? seems as I lower the PH the higher the TA. Your numbers are Lower PH and low TA.
So you have finished wine at 1.25%. This is just lower then I’ve been reading about so i do not quite understand. I’ve been told to try to keep ph around 3.4 -3.6. TA 5-6%.

Five to seven grams per liter (1000 ml) or 0.5 to 0.7% (100 ml). You need to to decide how you look at the units.
12.5 grams per liter (1.25%) is enough that it will draw ones attention in a finished wine. I like to keep the pH between 3.2 and 3.4 due to better SO2 generation, ,,, and normally the more acid the lower the pH.

I think I understand. Your 1-1.25% is 10 g/l - 12.5 g/l. So driving up in this range you get a little tingle on your tongue? My blueberry finished is 5 g/l. When I bottle would increasing it with citric acid a touch improve it and make it pop some?

depends, ,,, how sweet will you make it?
I think I understand. Your 1-1.25% is 10 g/l - 12.5 g/l. So driving up in this range you get a little tingle on your tongue? My blueberry finished is 5 g/l. When I bottle would increasing it with citric acid a touch improve it and make it pop some?
Low TA produces what is called a flabby wine. . . Aug 2020 . : 766650 . . looking for balance . .

View attachment 64995
the key is TA is a tool which is useful in producing acceptable product

Last edited:
I cannot say how sweet I will be going yet. We will pull some and create some samples with different levels of sweetness. We are normally dry to semi Range.

I’m thinking adding blueberry concentrate as a back sweetener. This may add some more fruitiness flavor too As well as increasing the TA.

i’ll just have to experiment with all this. Thanks for making me think about it.

BTW everyone, Dawg is a sugar MANIAC! I'm not laughing, he likes a LOT of sugar, lol!
I taste test at all levels too, usually I say 'Let's try that . . . again. Hey, there's none left!
I recently had a wine at 1.005, that was called 'sweet' by my testers, I'll add acid to the rest.

Sorry Dawg, I know about the circumstances, but it's way too high for most.

BTW everyone, Dawg is a sugar MANIAC! I'm not laughing, he likes a LOT of sugar, lol!
I taste test at all levels too, usually I say 'Let's try that . . . again. Hey, there's none left!
I recently had a wine at 1.005, that was called 'sweet' by my testers, I'll add acid to the rest.

Sorry Dawg, I know about the circumstances, but it's way too high for most.
with my trach it takes more of everything for me to taste, i am very happy that you drink like you like, oh i like to tease some, i respect all the levels that each craft, but since i'm not to bright i like teasing, life's short, i figure every smile i cause is a good thing, you never have to tell me your sorry,

@hounddawg @Rice_Guy
I started working with the Red Raspberry concentrate today. I did a couple taste tests and I really like the 1:4 ratio over the 1:4.5. I like the bold fruit taste I get. this will reduce to 1gal water to every quart. The BRIX at 1:4 reduced to 17. PH 3.31 TA 26.6 g/L. or 2.66% Added Sugar to get to SG 1.093

Red Raspberry - PH 3.31 TA 26.6 g/L. or 2.66%

Do you think I will be fine to pitch yeast with a PH 3.31 or should I up it to 3.4? Seems like the PH is higher then I would expect with the TA being 2.66% What say you?

I've already have the SG adjusted to 1.093 and have added campden taps and will add pectic enzyme tonight.

@hounddawg @Rice_Guy
I started working with the Red Raspberry concentrate today. I did a couple taste tests and I really like the 1:4 ratio over the 1:4.5. I like the bold fruit taste I get. this will reduce to 1gal water to every quart. The BRIX at 1:4 reduced to 17. PH 3.31 TA 26.6 g/L. or 2.66% Added Sugar to get to SG 1.093

Red Raspberry - PH 3.31 TA 26.6 g/L. or 2.66%

Do you think I will be fine to pitch yeast with a PH 3.31 or should I up it to 3.4? Seems like the PH is higher then I would expect with the TA being 2.66% What say you?

I've already have the SG adjusted to 1.093 and have added campden taps and will add pectic enzyme tonight.
PITCH IT, i would,
Dawg

metabisulphite is more active at pH 3.2 or 3.1, ,,, I go for shelf life so I NEVER aim above 3.4.
yup like @hounddawg says run with it.
* looking at what the accuracy of meters and probes is you may already be at 3.3999, ,,, you are asking to change 0.09 unit which will be technically be hard to do since it is so small
* I think you are saying the TA is either 0.26% or 2.7 grams per liter. If I had a TA of 2.66% (26.6 grams per liter) I would be tempted to keep that fruit in the freezer and use it as a “natural” food that I could use instead of chemical acid blend. ,,, If the TA is 0.27% and it tastes fairly acid I would rerun the test with new sodium hydroxide. ,,, If the taste is weak, sugar syrupy, I would consider adding acid to get the TA up to 0.5% (5.0 grams per liter) or to drop the pH to 3.20, which is safe for a fermentation, ,,, and expect that when it is bottle time I’d decide the wine is flabby and then add more acid blend to get the taste correct.

@Rice_Guy the sodium hydroxide is fairly new. I purchased it in Aug and have been using it the last few months. I believe it is 26.6 g/l. My calculation is (75*35.5ml*.1naoh)/10ml = 26.62 g/l.

this is concentrate. 65 brix that I reduced 1:4. 1 gal water to 32oz concentrate. It taste strong Which I like. I do have another bottle I can try.

Last edited:
Did another TA test this morning. Used a new bottle of sodium hydroxide with a .2 normal
(75*16.2ml *.2n)/10ml = 24.3 g/L Looks like TA came down a little over night but not much.
My Starting numbers PH 3.34 / TA 2.43% SG 1.092

@Rice_Guy
It looks like I am in line with what you posted above.
Raspberry: red 2018 pH 3.04/ TA 2.26%/ gravity 1.037 . . . 2019 pH 3.19/ TA 2.18%/ gravity 1.035 . . . 2020 pH 3.46/ TA 2.26%/ gravity 1.034

Last edited:
Well my fermentation stopped at 1.010. No activity in primary. I had stirred every day - two times. And after it hit 1.010 and slowed I added a teaspoon of yeast energizer and stirred with nothing happening. I was afraid that there was not enough happening, so I have moved it into a carboy.

This was my first that stopped this early. Started 1.092 and it has been 1.010 for a few days. Should i just let it ride for now in the carboy?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back