Raspberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
I'm picking and freezing 10-11 ozs of raspberries every day now and was wondering about increasing the amount of raspberries in my 1 gallon batches going from 3 or 4 lbs per batch to say maybe 6 lbs per batch? It should improve the flavor and make a nicer wine. (I like my raspberry wine now but what can I say?) Do I have to adjust any of the additives if I double the amount of raspberries?

Larry

I'm picking and freezing 10-11 ozs of raspberries every day now and was wondering about increasing the amount of raspberries in my 1 gallon batches going from 3 or 4 lbs per batch to say maybe 6 lbs per batch? It should improve the flavor and make a nicer wine. (I like my raspberry wine now but what can I say?) Do I have to adjust any of the additives if I double the amount of raspberries?

Larry

Larry - I haven't made raspberry myself yet, but I did enjoy a commercial raspberry available here.

I too am growing raspberries to make wine with and have a can of VH raspberry base that's not started yet.

I've been looking for all of the info I can find. Here's some info you may or may not have seen:
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog/2007/10/03/raspberry-wine-recipe/

a link inside the article:
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/FruitDat.htm

Please post more of what you've done in the past and what you might do differently ...

Larry - I haven't made raspberry myself yet, but I did enjoy a commercial raspberry available here.

I too am growing raspberries to make wine with and have a can of VH raspberry base that's not started yet.

I've been looking for all of the info I can find. Here's some info you may or may not have seen:
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog/2007/10/03/raspberry-wine-recipe/

a link inside the article:
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/FruitDat.htm

Please post more of what you've done in the past and what you might do differently ...

Thanks for that Bob - it looks like I'm on the right track. More raspberries is better. I'm still a newbie at this but the raspberry batches I have done so far are: 2 - 1 gal batches of just raspberry, 1 batch of raspberry honey and 1 batch of raspberry,honey, hops and of them the plain raspberry is by far the tastiest. So that's what I am sticking with. Now to increase the raspberries and make it better.

Thanks for that Bob - it looks like I'm on the right track. More raspberries is better. I'm still a newbie at this but the raspberry batches I have done so far are: 2 - 1 gal batches of just raspberry, 1 batch of raspberry honey and 1 batch of raspberry,honey, hops and of them the plain raspberry is by far the tastiest. So that's what I am sticking with. Now to increase the raspberries and make it better.

What kind of acid levels did you end up with?

Best to use 6+#'s per gallon and add a f-pac

Also consider adding either banana soup or raisins for body

I never did check the acid levels. I was pretty proud of myself for just figuring out the SG. :D
Thats the next thing you need to master then. All of this will give you a balanced wine.

1 step at a time. thats why we are here.. :hug

Larry
Are the raspberries wild ? I made a batch from wild berries last year using 4lb per gal. and, knowing everyone has different likes and dislikes, I felt it was too rich! I am dropping back to 3 lb per gallon this year. Maybe it is a difference in the berries?? To each his own i say, if you like it make it.

No, just check the starting gravity is 1.085 if lower add simple syrup to that mark.

Are the raspberries wild ? I made a batch from wild berries last year using 4lb per gal. and, knowing everyone has different likes and dislikes, I felt it was too rich! I am dropping back to 3 lb per gallon this year. Maybe it is a difference in the berries?? To each his own i say, if you like it make it.

No, they are heritage red raspberries. My wine from them has been very good, I am just trying to improve upon it. You know how it is.

No, they are heritage red raspberries. My wine from them has been very good, I am just trying to improve upon it. You know how it is.

Heritage is what I planted. I'm managing them for primocane crops only. Are you double cropping?

I too use 6-8 lbs per gallon and took best fruit wine with it this year and also best mead with my raspberry melomel.

Latest posts

Back