Raspberry wine-Is this normal fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on a couple things, Larry...the type of yeast you used and/or if you also used yeast nutrient/energizer...Some yeasts are slow fermentors. Check the specific gravity, too...tho, it's hard to believe you are done in 3 days!

I don't think it has fermented yet. I just added yeast yesterday. I did add yeast nutrient/energizer but added a little more this morning when I stirred the batch.

Did you ck the TA (acid)?
Did you add pectic enzyme?
What was the starting gravity?
It may take a day or two depenping om yout temp. Try and get it over 70*

I have a batch of Raspberry-kiwi going right that is very slow to ferment.
I have had it in the primary for over a week and is still at 1.020. I used 1118 yeast that has always been fast for me.
I was blaming mine on the juice mix that I used with my frozen berries and fresh kiwi, the juice mix has preservative in it.
Mine looks about like yours but is foaming when I stir it, just a little slow to ferment.
I have a brew belt on mine, as my basement is quite cold.

That looks like a normal situation to me, looks like the pectic enzyme has done some work already and stripped some color out of some fruit there. Is that what that is in the pic, some fruit that didnt stay in the bag or some color stripped pulp?

That looks just like my raspberry did.. It took about 24-36 hours to get going and I used lalvin 1118..

make sure its warm Larry, and give it a good stir. You want the oxegen. looks about normal though. As others will agree sometimes it will take even as long as 48 hours to see the "fizz".

Looks indeed normal, Larry just like the others said.

The slow starting fermentation is however a reason why I always make a yeast starter. That way you are sure the yeast hit the must with their feet running...

Something you might consider next time.

If you have never made a yeast starter before, this might help:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Luc

That looks like a normal situation to me, looks like the pectic enzyme has done some work already and stripped some color out of some fruit there. Is that what that is in the pic, some fruit that didnt stay in the bag or some color stripped pulp?

All the fruit stayed in the bag. It was frozen raspberries that mostly turned into juice and seeds. What you see floating on top formed just under the surface of the must and looked like a cloud. When I stirred the must it broke up into what looks like cheese curds.

That looks just like my raspberry did.. It took about 24-36 hours to get going and I used lalvin 1118..
I'm using lavin1118 inthis also.

Looks indeed normal, Larry just like the others said.

The slow starting fermentation is however a reason why I always make a yeast starter. That way you are sure the yeast hit the must with their feet running...

Something you might consider next time.

If you have never made a yeast starter before, this might help:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Luc
Thanks Luc. I did this and had the yeast foaming away. I'll take a look at it this morning and see how it's doing.
Larry

Last edited:
raspberry

Looks good.

Stir the hell out of it a couple times a day and it should go.

eagle 01-31-09 003 COPY.jpg

Im kinda curious about that "cheese curd looking stuff" any of you gurus know what that is exactly? I had quite a bit develop when I added my f-pak, but it has since settled to the bottom, is it just pectin? I used 8#s of frozen berries which I simmered down in a pot and strained through a fine mesh strainer.. Sorry larry I dont mean to hijack your thread

That my friend is a cap forming from certain yeasts and it ca be triple that sometimes when some pulp mixes in! This will probably be a big fermentation needing lots of headroom.

Usually when you dont see much of that flocculation occurring it will be a gentle sizzling but that yeast is floculating like crazy already and that usually means that its going to foam up quite a bit.

Usually when you dont see much of that flocculation occurring it will be a gentle sizzling but that yeast is floculating like crazy already and that usually means that its going to foam up quite a bit.

Thanks Wade. Sounds like it's a good thing to be happening.:b
Larry

Latest posts

Back