Raspberry Mead Inquiry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoWDa13

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to this whole schtick, and was looking for some pointers. I've only made a few batches of mead, one being blueberry and the other peach. The blueberry came out relatively dry and flavorless, but the peach came out quite nice.
However, I'm looking for a decent method/recipe for sweet raspberry mead. Would it be better to make a sweet mead first, and then back-sweeten it with raspberries and honey? Or should I ferment it with raspberries in the must? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My simple answer is ferment berries and all. Ferment dry with a target abv 12% sweeten with honey after stabilizing. Id use 71b yeast
Raspberries have had the most flavor carry over of anything ive done.
What yeast are you using. What fruit per gallon amounts.
Welcome

My simple answer is ferment berries and all. Ferment dry with a target abv 12% sweeten with honey after stabilizing. Id use 71b yeast
Raspberries have had the most flavor carry over of anything ive done.
What yeast are you using. What fruit per gallon amounts.
Welcome
I've changed my yeast for each one, trying to find a decent one. The last one I used was a red wine yeast, cant remember the strain. And as for fruit amounts, that's kind of what I'm asking. I'm not sure what amounts get the best flavor out, or if I should mash them, leave them whole, etc.

Check the recipe forum.
Guys here will tell you anywhere from 2 lbs per gallon too only enough water to say its wet and dissolve sugar.
For raspberries 3 to 5 lbs per gallon. Freeze them first, strain them out after first week
Lavin 71b yeast.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give 71b a try. I'm thinking of using about 3-4 pounds of honey per gallon, and letting the yeast burn itself out.

Ouch. That is a recipe for sweet rocket fuel, or bottle bombs
I would consult someone like @BernardSmith or @seth8530 for a yeast wit a lower alcohol threshold, perhaps something from wyeast.
I would shoot for an abv that i expect will be pleasant 10-12% ferment completely so that i can stabilize, preventing back sweetening sugars from restarting and popping corks and or breaking bottles. Plus i can set the exact sweetness that i want. What i think i want in the beginning isnt always what i like when is done and you can't take the sweet out like you can add it.
Im all about experimentation but do some more research before committing.
Where are you getting your honey.
You should be using a hydrometer it will allow you to determine alcohol potential, and track fermentation completeness.

I have yet to pick up a hydrometer, but it's definitely on the list. I'm using honey from a local beekeeper. It would probably be a safe bet to use some potassium sorbate to make sure it stabilizes, right?

I have made three batches of mead so far and I've found that it's getting better and better with each batch. All traditional. No fruits or additives besides nutrients.

If you're serious about making mead - start with a traditional. Do that a few times and you'll taste and find your flaws quicker and tweak from there. https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ is a good site.

http://www.meadmaderight.com/tosna.html Is a regimen that will help you get to the right recipe.

Don't make rocket fuel. It's a waste of work and money. You'll need to make cocktails out of it to drink it. It's awful - believe me. My first batch was rocket fuel and it wasn't enjoyable.

Don't make anything yet. Get a list of ingredients and tools together based on the links I gave you, post what you have and we'll help you put something together.

Learn how to use the hydrometer.

18lb of raw unfiltered honey. You have a great source of honey. Unfiltered and raw?
Get a six gallon bucket with a spigot and bung.
Get a Hydrometer. Essential for any brewing at all. Never start without one.
Airlock and bung that fits bucket.
Get secondary carboy to rack to.
Siphone hose and racking cane.
Bottle racking cane.
StarSan or some other sanitizer.
Yeast - you're honestly not going to be able to tell differences starting out of the gate. And using fruits. You just won't have the palate for it yet. Find a good solid yeast and use it until you get the regimen down. Then experiment. I have used Red Star Premium Blanc because it's a work horse and doesn't stall. Has a very robust temperature tolerance.
Potassium Sorbate
Potassium Metabisulfite
Fermaid O - don't suggest using Diammoniam Phospate or Fermaid K because they are a little rough on the yeast babies.
Bentonite Clay - help clarify the must.
Degassing rod with a drill.
Pectic Enzyme for breaking down the fruits.

There are probably other things out there but I can think of a list like this.

Get a journal of some kind. Masking tape to label your bucket.

I keep editing this as I sit and think about new things so keep checking this.

Last edited:
Chillkat - Thanks a lot. That's a really comprehensive reply and I'll probably be referring to it for a while. Yes, the honey is raw and unfiltered. The people live only a few miles from me, so the honey should also have a lot of components specific to our area.
As for rocket fuel, that's how my first batch came out. My other half's dad is an amateur wine maker and was helping me out, but is used to other types of wine, and I would say it definitely over-fermented. I ended up mixing it with pineapple juice to make a decent cocktail.
I'll spend the next week or so gathering what I need, and study those links you sent, and then get back to you guys. This has been a huge help, and I'm excited to continue this journey!

Chillkat - Thanks a lot. That's a really comprehensive reply and I'll probably be referring to it for a while. Yes, the honey is raw and unfiltered. The people live only a few miles from me, so the honey should also have a lot of components specific to our area.
As for rocket fuel, that's how my first batch came out. My other half's dad is an amateur wine maker and was helping me out, but is used to other types of wine, and I would say it definitely over-fermented. I ended up mixing it with pineapple juice to make a decent cocktail.
I'll spend the next week or so gathering what I need, and study those links you sent, and then get back to you guys. This has been a huge help, and I'm excited to continue this journey!

I wish I lived down the street from someone that has honey.

It balances out; there isn't a brewing supply store for at least 60 miles or more.
Better than I have - most of my stuff I got from brewers that quit brewing. Amazon is my friend. I live in Alaska.

I have yet to pick up a hydrometer, but it's definitely on the list. I'm using honey from a local beekeeper. It would probably be a safe bet to use some potassium sorbate to make sure it stabilizes, right?
Dont start another batch without a hydrometer. Read up on stabilizing prior to back sweetening.

Latest posts

Back