Raspberry concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - The mud clears some and thickens some for me.

Salt I understand. EG -The Dead Sea - where salt concentration is so high the a person floats nicely without even trying to do so.

Note: the SG of the dead sea is 1.3 and rising (Sorry my source only provided 1 digit to the right of the decimal.)

Of course a significant amount of common salt would ruin the flavor but I'm beginning to get the idea.

Not sure what you mean by not cleared. My wine is probably 55F-60F when I fortify it to ~20% alcohol and add the Torani. It then drops out even after some stirring. Should I be bringing the wine up to room temperature to help the chocolate dissolve?

Not sure what you mean by not cleared. My wine is probably 55F-60F when I fortify it to ~20% alcohol and add the Torani. It then drops out even after some stirring. Should I be bringing the wine up to room temperature to help the chocolate dissolve?
I’m talking about the syrup I use. It is just like simple syrup. It mixes in. Does not drop out. Link > Puremade Chocolate Milano Syrup
my wine is same temps as well. I fortified to 14.5%

Last edited:
I just racked my FWK strawberry and blackberry. For both, I have a 5 gallon and a 1 gallon. In the 1 gallon for each, I just added about 2 oz chocolate extract I made by letting cacao nibs sit in vodka for a few months. The extract looks coffee colored but being liquid instead of syrup, it mixed right in. Smells delicious!!

So this raspberry aged in carboy for 10 months before bottling. I thought it cleared very good but I got these particles in the bottles. What is this? Flavor is great and does not effect it just wondering what it is. Is it from the coca nibs or the concentrate? Maybe this is the reason the concentrate did not go below 1.10. Don’t know

Attachments

• D0354D00-82F0-4BA4-A48D-83C2C2B1EB20.jpeg
    D0354D00-82F0-4BA4-A48D-83C2C2B1EB20.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Cocoa nibs contain a fair amount of cocoa butter. That may have separated out after some time. Were these particles at the top or the bottom of the bottle (the "top" based on the way it was stored)?

Cocoa nibs contain a fair amount of cocoa butter. That may have separated out after some time. Were these particles at the top or the bottom of the bottle (the "top" based on the way it was stored)?
The bottles were stored on its side and all the particles laying on the bottom. This was the first time using cocoa nibs and the first time seeing it. I purchased toasted nibs thinking that would help but it did not. They are heavy and stay in the bottom pouring the wine out so it does not get in the glass. Just looks awful if you happen to see it.

So this raspberry aged in carboy for 10 months before bottling. I thought it cleared very good but I got these particles in the bottles. What is this? Flavor is great and does not effect it just wondering what it is. Is it from the coca nibs or the concentrate?
* if it is cocoa butter it will melt in your hand and have a soft/ greasy feel (most fats do). Fats can produce flakes as when solidifying on the surface of gravy. ,,, If the cocoa butter is solubilized in alcohol it should stay there. ,,, there may be a temperature effect since straight coaca butter melts at about 98F.
* if it is a crystallized salt it will not melt at body temperature. It will feel rough/ sandy in the mouth or hand
* there aren’t a lot of other choices, ,,, does not look microbial/ an infection.

* if it is cocoa butter it will melt in your hand and have a soft/ greasy feel (most fats do). Fats can produce flakes as when solidifying on the surface of gravy. ,,, If the cocoa butter is solubilized in alcohol it should stay there. ,,, there may be a temperature effect since straight coaca butter melts at about 98F.
* if it is a crystallized salt it will not melt at body temperature. It will feel rough/ sandy in the mouth or hand
* there aren’t a lot of other choices, ,,, does not look microbial/ an infection.

Maybe salt then. It does not melt in hand. Feels gritty and just brakes up and gritty.

Latest posts

Back