Random mutation?! Please help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildMike6

Junior
Reaction score
215E7CBD-9C40-40E0-9099-025F1226E945.jpeg 75B6DDE7-0CD0-4DCA-AFDB-D16693BD4EBE.jpeg 1ECD159D-9A61-4685-866A-C2666D145F02.jpeg Someone please help me identify this! I cannot find answers anywhere!

I have a wild grape vine I string up on my fence, the grapes grow all over everything around my property.

I discovered 2 random growths at the base of a leaf that look like a cluster of fuzzy coconuts. The clusters are 2” in diameter and the nodes of the leafs nearby are swollen to the size of a marble.

Is it a random mutation or cross breed between a totally different species? It is positively vegetative growth I cut one of the “coconuts” in half to see. It is 100% wild grape it is surrounded by big clusters of grapes.

I need answers please!! Lol

I have a wild grape vine I string up on my fence, the grapes grow all over everything around my property.
I need answers please!! Lol

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but... Why? Why do you need answers? Can you tell us what your goals are? You have wild grapes on your property... Are you planning to try to make wine from these wild grapes? If so, you'll need to tell us a bunch more about them. If not, then... why do you care about the "random growths"? Just prune them off and continue life.

I have never seen anything like that before, but I find it interesting......cut one open and see what's inside.....

Incase you were curious I discovered what this is.

A grape tumid gallmaker fly lays its larvae in the vine causing the plant to gall around it.

Native to southeastern Canada/northeastern USA and causes minimal damage to plant health.

Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back