Raisins????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
I just read a thread about putting raisins in the primary. I literally just racked my moscato into secondary earlier today. It's at .996 so fermentation is over. Is it to late to put the raisins in now in the carboy? I also have a blueberry Pinot noir mist kit that I racked and wonder the same about that. I'm looking to add a little body to both kits.

From what people have posted about raisins, i would say it too late for these batches. Others can chime in on what your best options are at this point

cheers

If your initial SG was reasonably low, I would suspect that your carboy is still teaming with yeasties that are craving sugar right now (and not finding any). Fermentation would likely pick back right up.

What are you trying to add with the raisins? More ABV? Body? Raisiny taste?

If your initial SG was reasonably low, I would suspect that your carboy is still teaming with yeasties that are craving sugar right now (and not finding any). Fermentation would likely pick back right up.

What are you trying to add with the raisins? More ABV? Body? Raisiny taste?

More body, especially to the blueberry kit. I just did a black raspberry kit and it taste a little thin to me.

I tried adding raisins once to a low-end Riesling kit in an attempt to increase the body. My opinion of the results was that it didn't help with the body and it increased the alcohol content.

What about adding some tannins at this point? Pro? cons? Tannin type?

I'd add tannin before raisins. When I've added raisins or sultanas, the wine has had an oxidized hint reminiscent of sherry. Not what I was looking for.
I just had a Nebbiolo kit wine side by side with a Bordeaux Malbec, and the big difference to my palette was the massive, soft tannin in the six-year-old Bordeaux, which made my wine taste like grape juice.
Years ago, when I started making wine (blackberry), I would add tannin powder to my second run roses. I am going to try adding some to my kit wines now, making half for quick drinking following the instructions, and putting half away for bulk aging with extra tannin.

Back