Raising ph in red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the best method to raise the ph in reds? I’ve red Potassium carbonate and calcium carbonate. Which is it. Then I read potassium carbonate is used to make glass, soap and fire extinguishers. That doesn’t sound good.

What is the best method to raise the ph in reds? I’ve red Potassium carbonate and calcium carbonate. Which is it. Then I read potassium carbonate is used to make glass, soap and fire extinguishers. That doesn’t sound good.

And water is used to irrigate crops, hydrate marathoners, and to cool nuclear reactors.

Both carbonates can do it. Potassium in quantity will produce a bitter flavor AKA light salt. Calcium is slow to react so you don’t see instant results.

For the purpose of flavor what you actually want is to decrease the titratable acidity. If I had northern grape juice I would chill it to form potassium bitartrate. ,,, NOT actually try to raise the pH. If I had a southern juice I would check the TA, if above 0.7% TA I might pull acid out. Again might, since we deal with acid every year.

For shelf life I would aim for a pH slightly under 3.5. I know that with a year of age the wine will taste sweeter, and low pH gives better chemistry. (A contrast cola soda comes in at pH 2) ,,,, Flavor is TA. High pH gives bad shelf life.

Latest posts

Back