Raisin Wine and Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Anyone made a straight raisin wine? If so, what yeast did you use?

I am considering KVI 1116.

I don't see why not.

It's a solid yeast, has a fairly high ABV potential, and works with a wide range of temperatures.
I prefer it over EC-1118. I feel like the fermentation isn't quite as violent, I haven't noticed it producing as many funky smells, and it seems to better retain some of the nice aromas of whatever fruit you are using, etc.

Is there any reason why it's giving you pause?

I have made both yellow and black raisin mead. Substituting honey for sugar. The black raisin is very tannic, someday I think it will be drinkable. The yellow raisin was good.

Is there any reason why it's giving you pause?

Nope. Just never made raisin wine and this yeast seemed like a good fit. I read on another site where someone had used it to make this.
I have used this yeast for apple wine and some others and was pretty happy with it.

I will give it a go then. Got everything minced and put together yesterday. Will pitch yeast tonight. Not a lot of information on raisin wine so kind of winging it.

Seems like since dark raisins are just dried, oxidized red grapes, you would want to use a yeast that is preferred for red wine, EC 1118, BM 4X4, RC212, something of that nature. If you were doing yellow raisins, yeast for white wine production. Just my thoughts...........

I agree and thought of that. For me though, raisins have a whole different taste than a fresh grape. I may be way off in my thinking.
As mentioned above, I had read about someone successfully using 1116 while making raisin wine.
I guess time will tell as that is what I have on hand right now and need to pitch it tonight.

No harm in trying it for sure, you can do it again any number of ways. When I think of raisin wine, I think of Amarone, since the winemaker allows the grapes to sit and "raisin" for a few months before starting the process.......

No harm in trying it for sure, you can do it again any number of ways. When I think of raisin wine, I think of Amarone, since the winemaker allows the grapes to sit and "raisin" for a few months before starting the process.......

Interesting. I have only had Amarone once (a bottle @joeswine sent me).

If this turns out halfway decent I may do another batch with either 71B or RC-212. Right now the plan is too make one gallon dry and the other gallon semi-sweet/sweet.

Mostly just wanted to try something different with these raisins.

Would you care to share your recipe?

Sure thing, kind of a mix from a book I have, research online and Keller's.

2 Gal. Batch
7 lbs. dark raisins
288 oz. water (added 32 oz. extra for the loss due to gross lees)
Sugar
3 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. tannin
3 1/2 tsp. nutrient (2 tsp. up front and step the rest in)
1/8 tsp. kmeta
2 tsp. pectic
KVI-1116 yeast
SG 1.090

Put the raisins in a blender with just enough water to mince/finely chop them up. Add to a mesh bag in primary.
Add all other ingredients less the pectic and yeast. 12 hours later add pectic. 12 hours later add hydrated yeast.

So far it is slow going compared to other ferments with KVI-1116. Right now I am attributing that to the colder ambient temps. in my home. It has been unseasonably warm here, for this time of year (highs 65-75) so we haven't turned the furnace on yet. Inside the house it ranges from 64 - 69.
This morning I added some heating pads to the primary so we'll see what that does. SG has only dropped .030 in 3 days. Normally it moves quicker.

Never made this before but it looked interesting and thought I would give it a go. I will make one gallon dry and the other semi-sweet.

Thanks wineforfun. I'll be trying this one in the spring when I get back from Sunny AZ..:h

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Thanks

Thanks wineforfun. I'll be trying this one in the spring when I get back from Sunny AZ..:h

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Thanks

You're welcome, will do.

Right now having a heck of a time getting it to ferment. I believe it is the ambient temp. in the house, as mentioned in previous post.
I have had heating pads on it the last few days and it seems to be moving now. It's been a slow mover. Was down to SG 1.020 yesterday, from 1.090. 8 days to get that far.

Have fun in AZ, sounds like a good place to be.

A couple of quick points - raisins made for cooking or snacking are not necessarily made from the same grapes that would make a good varietal grape wine. I believe that most US raisins are made from Thompson grapes. If your fermentation has indeed taken off then the second point is irrelevant but it is that many dried fruits are in fact coated in oils and often covered in preservatives. The oils may float to the surface and coat your carboy and siphon but the preservatives may inhibit fermentation.

Yes, like I mentioned above, it has taken off, albeit very slow. After hooking up the heating pads a few days ago, that seemed to help get things moving better.
Last night SG 1.008, so will rack to secondary tonight and let things finish.

Not sure about the second half of your post as ingredients listed is just "raisins". So unless there are preservatives that they haven't disclosed, I don't know of any. The must looks like any other I have done (not oily), just fermenting slow until I added the heat.

Latest posts

Back