rain acoming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
fertilized the pastures today, fertilized the garden today, fertilized fruit trees today, supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, it will set the fertilizer,,, soon as rain is over i can start planting, only one of my neighbors has planted so far, he's cool he unassay plants at least twice a year, but once he gets it a going he out produces any of us,,
Dawg

almost forgot, planted a Dolgo crabapple tree and a honey crisp apple tree , down near my yellow Delicious apple tree, i have several sergeants yellow crabapple bushes, been fighting cedar rust on them, this i believe is the fourth year, and i think i finally got them over it. they look good and the bean size fruits look healthy, I'll know for sure as they grow,
Dawg

almost forgot, planted a Dolgo crabapple tree and a honey crisp apple tree , down near my yellow Delicious apple tree, i have several sergeants yellow crabapple bushes, been fighting cedar rust on them, this i believe is the fourth year, and i think i finally got them over it. they look good and the bean size fruits look healthy, I'll know for sure as they grow,
Dawg
Wow Dawg. That sounds like an extremely productive day. Congratulations! I'm about ready for one of those. Maybe next week. 😇

Wow Dawg. That sounds like an extremely productive day. Congratulations! I'm about ready for one of those. Maybe next week. 😇
this weather has been crazy, did you get snow the other day, it came across about 50 mile above us, we got rain, come morning i got 2 type tomato plants early girl and Arkansas traveler, several squash, and pickle style cucumbers , all plants, then in my freezer i got a bunch of NON-GMO seeds , and i have wild tomatoes ,, they claim they come up every year, dad told me about grandma having one that came up every year at the corner on the house, it was there when they moved there and there when they left,
Dawg

I am lusting the slow drizzle, :p
a low slow , drizzle on the rain most all night and till around 10AM this morning, Dawg
I had dirt moved two weeks back to enlarge the parking lot, and have been watering the grass seed since. It is early yet so crops are mostly OK (hard freeze set back asparagus) , but not an average year for farming.
Hope you have the cedar apple rust fixed Dawg, nasty stuff

we got that long slow drizzle, i hope yawl did as well, i got my seeds ready and my plants, but i forgot this week is full of doctors, and other stuff, looks like the weekend at best before the garden, but on one trip i go by a nursery that has some leftover fruit trees that i was told had blooms, don't know what kind but i think if lucky i'll get me 3 of something, we had a wild honey bee colony in a hallow cedar tree ,, i first found it in 1976, neighbor told me they left, so we'll split the honey, and I'm getting a hive, and get me a nuck with a queen, i ask the doctor after my health fell thru the floor i became allergic to wasps , carry a EpiPen, but doc said no problem bee sting is different than a wasp, so next spring i guess i got a new hobby, not my cup of tee ,
but he said they left 2 years ago, i talked to the rest my neighbors and all said there fruit was falling off, 5 miles away a ole boy raises them, carl told me that that guy ask for the bees 3 years ago, carl told him no,, so no telling, heck i don't know squat about keeping bees, at the moment i got to many irons in the fire so next spring i reckon,,,, but in a week we're going to cut wedge doors in that old cedar so after we take 90% of the honey we can a fix the plugs back, in hopes of a swarm finding a new home in a very old one, his land, he wanted to drop that tree but after i explained that we could clean it out, and maybe or maybe not get more bees he was more for it than me, lol,, where i live there is 4 neighbors that their gardens and fruit benefit, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise,,,,
Dawg

Dawg I raised bees for a while and although I was only able to do it for a couple years I managed to be pretty successful at it. I started with buying one nuc and one complete hive. By the end of the first complete year I had 10 hives. I rescued a swarm from a downed walnut tree, caught multiple swarms and split hives. I managed to get a lot of honey that spring, but ended up selling all of them and my equipment due to severe allergic reactions. Emergency room and epi pen and who knows what else I was treated with. I miss having them but it's not worth the risk to me. They are fascinating little creatures and a lot of work to maintain, but I still have a lot of honey.:D

If you are looking for bees to help pollinate your fruit trees and bushes, you can buy bees from www.crownbees.com These bees don't make honey but they pollinate like crazy. The folks at crown bees are helpful but very little help is needed.
I have several chokecherry trees and I used to get only about ten pounds of cherries from the lot of them. I had to go scavenging in local parks to get enough to make one batch of wine. I ordered mason bees from crown and the first year I had them I got nearly fifty pounds of cherries!

If you are looking for bees to help pollinate your fruit trees and bushes, you can buy bees from www.crownbees.com These bees don't make honey but they pollinate like crazy. The folks a crown bees are helpful but very little help is needed.
I have several chokecherry trees and I used to get only about ten pounds of cherries from the lot of them. I had to go scavenging in local parks to get enough to make one batch of wine. I ordered mason bees from crown and the first year I had them I got nearly fifty pounds of cherries!
Hum, i have never heard of them, i did a little reading and the sound like what I'm looking for, i have lots of fruits, berries and flowers everywhere,, thank you for the link,
Dawg

oh my body feels 100 years old, 19 Arkansas Traveler an Early Girl tomato plants, planted a few squash plants, and still have better then 20 more plants to plant, i told that guy at the nursey i thought he was putting more plants in the truck then i bought, he told me not to worry about it, next week I'm heading back to buy at least 3 more fruit trees from him, him and his wife are good folk, heck i got more (mater) plants than that, my brother ask me today, i thought you told me you only bought 18 plants combined,
Dawg man I'm old ))tomato((

welp i now have 5 types of solitary bees, I used to raise rabbits, so i still have several pens, with roofs. so i put a couple nursery buckets in one of them with 700 reeds,, put 2 skillets full of 1 red clay, the other 2 with grey clay, the pen is 32" x 48" , 40 inches above the ground the bottom of the pen, waiting for the bess to hatch, and start my magic ,, i also used some of last years poke salad limbs, since they are hollow, the neighbor 1/4 mile behind me said he would bring some money over for me to get him some, and yes neither him or his wife has a computer,, lol, in a half mile Radis from my place, I am the only one with a computer,, @JustJoe thank you, i find it funny that i got the info on WMT to start Bees,,, and my rust fungicide in today as well..
Dawg

welp i now have 5 types of solitary bees, I used to raise rabbits, so i still have several pens, with roofs. so i put a couple nursery buckets in one of them with 700 reeds,, put 2 skillets full of 1 red clay, the other 2 with grey clay, the pen is 32" x 48" , 40 inches above the ground the bottom of the pen, waiting for the bess to hatch, and start my magic ,, i also used some of last years poke salad limbs, since they are hollow, the neighbor 1/4 mile behind me said he would bring some money over for me to get him some, and yes neither him or his wife has a computer,, lol, in a half mile Radis from my place, I am the only one with a computer,, @JustJoe thank you, i find it funny that i got the info on WMT to start Bees,,, and my rust fungicide in today as well..
Dawg
Wow! You are really all in! I get one batch of mason bees each year, primarily for the chokecherries.

unbelievable, during them sheer winds a big red oak went down taking out 2 fences ,, my mule pasture and my mule lot, still got tons of red oak to cut up, but today across the road a red oak about 20 feet further down,,,, a about 2 foot through red oak fell taking out the high lines that was in my drive way an down the road, it snapped the eclectic pole and destroyed the transformer as well. so once 4 bucket trucks and 2 bosses pickups , my brother and i got to fix the same fence again, but at least it did not get the mule lot fence just the pasture fence, during that wind storm the oddest thing is it only took a tree here and there, leaving all the trees around it alone, but our ground is very wet and very deep, 2 and 3 feet trees are fairly old, but still just a tree here and there for 15 miles, the only place that it took many trees is a cedar glade about 10 miles away, they had just shoved about 7 or 8 acres leaving plenty of shade trees and are going to build 10 to 15 houses, ,, it cleared 80% of the trees they had left, as of yet i have not heard or seen a bunch of trees downed in one spot,,, but that one spot, that is plum nuts,,,
Dawg

after my triple bypass several years ago, to get over it,,,, I made a 40 foot wide by 220 foot long garden, on the lower side of the garden . i stacked rocks 3 feet wide at the bottom and 220 feet long,, it ended up close to 3 feet tall, now after better than a decade later on the garden side the dirt is within about 6 to 8 inches of the top of the wall, but the older i get the shorter the garden gets, this year i made my garden 40' x 40',, after hoeing today i think next year i might make my garden 5 inches by 5 inches,,, whew,,,
Dawg

Think I have to make mine a bit bigger, but not much. Have to have new potatoes for my birthday 13 july. New taters, fried chicken and gravy. Bout the only time we get fried chicken anymore but only thing I need the chickenfor is the gravy. Love the chicken too, but have been waiting almost a year for the taters and gravy. Used to do the fried chicken almost every Sunday. Now have lots of chicken but most of it I cook on the grill. No leavins for the gravy. But still kickin at 72 and hope for a couple of more years, anyway. Still, have always hated gardening and still do. Kathy says we are going to have one. LOL, Arne.

well i don't like to cause trouble, BUT i agree with your MRS, you need a garden, :i
Dawg

you know i can grow most anything, but to this very day ,, i have never got tatters to grow, i made ridges, hills even drilled 2 inch holes in old tires stacked em up, but not 1 potato have i ever grown
Dawg,

Hmm, chop em up, throw em in the ground and keep em watered. They most always come up and give a crop. Probably our soil, north of here a few miles they grow some commercially. Hard to find ground the corn farmers and bean farmers not planting. I imagine that is where the money is. Arne.

Latest posts

Back