Racoon breaching electric fence netting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have coyotes but they seem uninterested in this big guy. Maybe he is too crafty.
Trust me. I have had pet raccoons and any coyote with a strong instinct for self preservation (all of them) would stay away from a large raccoon. Predators try to avoid prey that can inflict fatal injuries on them!

Coyotes will not even attack full grown male turkeys because of the spurs.

Trust me. I have had pet raccoons and any coyote with a strong instinct for self preservation (all of them) would stay away from a large raccoon. Predators try to avoid prey that can inflict fatal injuries on them!

Coyotes will not even attack full grown male turkeys because of the spurs.
Absolutely! Nothing will challenge that racoon - maybe my best coon dog but he died in 2018. We never hunted but he was a fantastic dog and would have treed this guy!

I'm afraid my current dogs are too soft. The Lab has killed a baby groundhog and a squirrel. The Great Pry is all bark; he is afraid of the Lab when she gets possessive. I've thought of letting them patrol the vineyard at nigh but they are ready for bed by 8 pm. 🤣

Absolutely! Nothing will challenge that racoon - maybe my best coon dog but he died in 2018. We never hunted but he was a fantastic dog and would have treed this guy!

I'm afraid my current dogs are too soft. The Lab has killed a baby groundhog and a squirrel. The Great Pry is all bark; he is afraid of the Lab when she gets possessive. I've thought of letting them patrol the vineyard at nigh but they are ready for bed by 8 pm. 🤣
Exactly 🤣. While Labrador Retriever is listed as a working dog breed, mine would beg to differ!

I would suggest at least 2 low wires just outside the main fence. Fiberglass poles, fairly close, just wrap the wire (I used the poly wire with imbedded copper). Make sure the dirt is wet. They don't get through multiple layers 4" off the ground and a foot apart. You'll know by the torn up wires!!

And, yes, bait the wires!! It's called training.,..

I forgot. Your fence is only as good as your grounding at the charger. At least 2 deep ground rods. Wet dirt around them, wet dirt along the fence.

Last edited:
This is electric netting. PoultryNet® Plus 12/48/3 Electric Netting for Backyard Chickens and Pasture Grazing I have the largest energizer PrimaShock® 8 Fence Energizers & Kits with three six foot ground rods. I can only wet as much as the rain allows...though I could hose the place where the racoon seemed to breach.

This netting has 11 hot wires starting at 3 inches off the ground and the top wire is four feet off the ground. The wires are held by the netting. I don't think the racoon went over via trees but I plan to cut trees anyway, maybe sooner rather than later. I know a groundhog went under...my son watched it go under.

Trap first...I may bait for the deer at the areas where they traverse.

I have super pests.

I'm waiting for the bear.

My Marquette is starting veraison, so to fight the racoons and other varmints in my vineyard, I bought 1300 feet of Premier 1 poultry netting; 48 inches high 11 hot wires and 3 inch holes in the netting, posts at every 6.5 feet. I got the biggest energizer and had sufficient joules according to the instructions. Energized on Saturday. On Saturday night the trail camera caught a racoon checking it out. On Sunday a groundhog ran under the netting. Last night the racoon returned - at 2:20 am he was outside the fence, by 3:05 am he was inside. We had trimmed the trees so I don't think he went over the top. I can only assume he went under the netting.

Suggestions. I'm getting traps but should I try plastic anchors in between the posts. The company said not to try baiting the fence. I'm going to net the grapes but the racoon can get through the net. I think I will get some battery motion detector floodlights but I'm afraid nothing will help. Is trapping my only resort?

On the plus side it appears the deer are staying out, though deer at this time of year have not been my worst problem.
I have used the same fencing for my vineyard and no raccoons breached my mesh fence. Go to an irrigation supply company and buy a roll (1000’) of irrigation tape. It’s perforated every 12-18”. Then run it just outside your mesh fencing. Hook it up to a water supply with a pressure reducer (sold by the irrigation company). I set mine up on a timer to run for an hour or two at sunset every day. Keeps the ground moist so the animal gets a nice jolt. Worked great for me. About $100.

Latest posts

Back