Racking ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winefarm

Junior
Reaction score
I have 2 gallons of welch's I started on the 1st of the month. I used lalvin V1116. I initially had them under the napkin and rubber band for 4 days then put an airlock on. They have been under airlock for around 10 days now and SG is about 0.993. The wine has cleared and there is about 1/8 to 1.4" sediment on the bottom. Should I rack, and should I top up with some grape juice? I have some clover valley grape juice. The ingredients list filtered water, gjc, gj, citric acid, ascorbic acid, and potassium metabisulfite. Thanks in advance, David.

Last edited:
You can rack; it sounds like your wine is done fermenting. I wouldn't add juice or anything with sugars in it or you run the risk of starting fermentation all over again; I'm sure you'd rather be drinking wine than waiting for it to ferment all over again. You can top up with a bit of water, or you can top up with a similar wine. The only way I'd add juice would be after treating the batch with sulfite and potassium sorbate; the sorbate will keep the yeast from becoming an active population again.

I concur, rack over and also take an sg reading a few days in a row to see if your wine is stable and if so sulfite and or sorbate if sweetening.

Latest posts

Back