Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried nothing yet, but have purchased a packet of Bentonite. I have about 100 litres of red wine, 15 litres of white, and 10 litres of figs on the go.
Before you proceed with egg white fining, read this article from Winemaker Magazine: Egg White Fining - WineMakerMag.com
Unless you have a wine that has excessive or bitter tannins, you might want to consider another method that won't strip out the tannins, like time. Leaving your wine to age for many months in a carboy, barrel, or other suitable vessel will clear your wine, and allow it to get to the age of drinking.

I have tried nothing yet, but have purchased a packet of Bentonite. I have about 100 litres of red wine, 15 litres of white, and 10 litres of figs on the go.
You can google French wine with egg whites. Or, after first racking into another carbon, I whip 3 egg whites w 3 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt, whip thoroughly then pour into five gallon carboy, stir that thoroughly, put on a bubbler and in ten to 12 days must settles and wine clears with no loss of color. Works for 3 gal carbonyas well.

Here is another article on fining agents: A Clearer Understanding of Fining Agents

None of the articles I've read say, "this is the fining agent to use". As much as I'd love a definitive answer, there is none. Every fining agent, including filtering, has an impact on the finished product.

The answer is to educate ourselves on the aspects of wine making, and making informed decisions. Keep in mind that what I did last year is NOT what I may do this year.

To mitigate air space what i have done in the past is to get a big bag of pure clear glass marbles and drop them into the carboy (albeit carefully). The displacement is enough to fill the gaps. I'm sure it was someone on these forums told me about that neat trick!

Latest posts

Back