Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about tipping the carboy a few days prior to racking then keping the cane above the lees until you get closer to the bottom. Get as much as you can until you start sucking up too much sediment. Then pour the rest in a smaller container and let it sit in the fridge until those lees settle. You shouldn't lose too much. If you add bentonite to the leftover it will thicken the lees and clear faster. Just my thoughts.

How about tipping the carboy a few days prior to racking then keping the cane above the lees until you get closer to the bottom. Get as much as you can until you start sucking up too much sediment. Then pour the rest in a smaller container and let it sit in the fridge until those lees settle. You shouldn't lose too much. If you add bentonite to the leftover it will thicken the lees and clear faster. Just my thoughts.

Thank you Craig & Fred

If it were me, I would put that racking cane all the way down into the lees, you will suck up some, I might not tip the carboy to get every last drop of wine, but I might. It would depend on the depth of the lees in the middle of the carboy. That stuff fell out once, it will fall out again, generally for me the next day or within the week.
Yep. I agree. 2 or 3 more rackings should get most of the wine. There's no need to rush at this stage of the game.

Latest posts

Back