Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason to pull up the sediment from primary to secondary? I have a Merlot kit that recommends doing that. Really goes against my grain.

Is there any reason to pull up the sediment from primary to secondary? I have a Merlot kit that recommends doing that. Really goes against my grain.
Yes I agree with you. It doesn't seem overly logical. What brand is the kit. What yeast were you given ? - the standard EC1118 or something special. And did your kit come with a fruit pack of skins? I wouldn't sweat too much but I do understand your angst. ..ie why do they want you to transfer over a slurry of bentonite and dead yeast ? If you transfer from primary into carboys after nine or ten days you will get a number of active yeast cells coming across anyway. Personally - when I do a kit I don't do the bentonite thing or use any of the other fining agents. I plan my kits to be two year minimum jobs. And store in bulk for a min of twelve months. Decanting three or four times during that period before bottling. My recommendation is to box on and ignore the instruction.

Yes I agree with you. It doesn't seem overly logical. What brand is the kit. What yeast were you given ? - the standard EC1118 or something special. And did your kit come with a fruit pack of skins? I wouldn't sweat too much but I do understand your angst. ..ie why do they want you to transfer over a slurry of bentonite and dead yeast ? If you transfer from primary into carboys after nine or ten days you will get a number of active yeast cells coming across anyway. Personally - when I do a kit I don't do the bentonite thing or use any of the other fining agents. I plan my kits to be two year minimum jobs. And store in bulk for a min of twelve months. Decanting three or four times during that period before bottling. My recommendation is to box on and ignore the instruction.

No skins, EC1118.

Wine Expert instructions? seem to remember them saying something like that. I never try to pull sediment when racking, I don't worry if a bit comes across but not any substantial amount.

Wine Expert instructions? seem to remember them saying something like that. I never try to pull sediment when racking, I don't worry if a bit comes across but not any substantial amount.

Of course if I’m going to rack several times I wouldn’t be worried about some sediment. Racking it all, that seems silly.

I thought the reason they sometimes call for that is for the clearing agents. Probably not a big deal at all to dismiss it—— actually— definitely not. Unless your bottling in 2 weeks ;)
But I thought certain clearing agents benefit from the lees. And when added and stirred up with the lees it helps it grab onto more and work more effectively to clear the wine. Don’t quote me. I can’t recall where I read this.

I thought the reason they sometimes call for that is for the clearing agents. Probably not a big deal at all to dismiss it—— actually— definitely not. Unless your bottling in 2 weeks ;)
But I thought certain clearing agents benefit from the lees. And when added and stirred up with the lees it helps it grab onto more and work more effectively to clear the wine. Don’t quote me. I can’t recall where I read this.
Yep that was the reason on the old WE instructions, the one time I tried it there way it took forever to clear.

I've seen instruction that say to leave the lees in the SECONDARY....stir them up when you add the clearing agents. Big globs give the little globs something to latch on to and helps clear.....even that seems odd to me

I got time and use that instead.

Some fining agents work better when they have more to work with, e.g., more sediment. I'm guessing that the agent here is kieselsol/chitosan. These work together on a negative/positive ion basis (forget which is which) and apparently are more effective when they have more material to work with.

Follow the kit instructions. Trust that the vendor knows their own product and provides correct advice.

Latest posts

Back