Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darleeka

Junior
Reaction score
I want to find out if there is an alternative to sucking a siphon tube and getting wine everywhere everyw time I rack??

I love my auto siphons! Best investment i made. I have the smaller one for when i rack from 6 gallon bucket and the next larger one for when i rack from my 54 liter demijohn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most times, especially early on, you are going to lose some wine and it will need to be replaced. So you can used distilled water to prime your siphon line.
OR if you are testing before racking (Should test before not after racking anyway) Use the wine from your Hydrometer test tube to prime the siphon line.

This assumes you don't have an auto siphon.

In most cases without one there is going to be a little spill - I just learned to manage things carefully using my clip shutoff and holding both ends of the siphon line at the same height. Using distilled water it takes a bout 2 to 2/12 ozs of water to fill my siphon line. That amount is not going to dilute my wine enough to worry. OR as mentioned using the wine from my testing avoids that completely. I draw it with the wine thief and use a clean 1 cup measuring cup to pour the wine or water into my siphon line.

I want to find out if there is an alternative to sucking a siphon tube and getting wine everywhere everyw time I rack??

haha
Practice makes perfect. I suck my tube (insert joke here) when bottling, racking, etc. and never have a mess. In the early days but not anymore.

Latest posts

Back